taking a cna course this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrJosh9788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to get a part-time job next year, and thought a cna class would be a good idea. does anyone know what a cna makes part-time, and also, how readily available jobs are in the burlington, vt area?

Members don't see this ad.

I need to get a part-time job next year, and thought a cna class would be a good idea. does anyone know what a cna makes part-time, and also, how readily available jobs are in the burlington, vt area?

It's probably minimum wage or close to it. That's what it is here in Hawaii, unless you got a good contact somewhere.

It pays a bit more than minimum, but it sucks! I was a CNA and stopped very soon after getting my license. Seriously, take a phlebotomy course or medical assisting... anything but CNA.

Members don't see this ad :)
It pays twice minimum wage where I'm from (Midwest) but I have no idea what it's like in VT.

It is hard work, but it is great experience and adcoms like to see it. :)

In CT, you start at $12/hr in most nursing homes, which is where you end up right after you get certified. It's very hard and DIRTY work, but it can be rewarding. Around here, it's very difficult to get a position in a hospital without at least one years experience. As much as being a CNA helped my application, I'd have to agree that if I had it to do over again, I would have taken a phlebotomy course or even EMT.

I work as a cna in a hospital and I make 11-13/hr depending on the shift. It's an awesome job and a great way to get clinical experience. It may be dirty work sometimes, but you have to start somewhere.

what is a cna?

Why not be an EMT instead? It's much more exciting with probably similar pay.

Why not be an EMT instead? It's much more exciting with probably similar pay.
Because basics are usually limited to transport, ifthey want pay.. Also being a CNA would allow youto work more closely with DR.s

A nurse's bitch

Hahahaha:laugh:

I was an equivalent of a cna (without the license) at an assisted living center for a year, and although it was dirty at times, it was invaluable experience in my book. We could even pass meds under the "adult foster care" license, and worked closely with doctors to change medications, order labs, make apts, etc for residents, even help making the call to send residents to the ER at times.

Now I work as a nurse tech (basically a cna) at a LTAC unit at the hospital. It is BY FAR the dirtiest, most difficult job I could ever imagine. That being said, I experience critically ill patients, families, doctors on a daily basis and have had the opportunity to take medical spanish, become certified in phlebotomy, learn waveforms to read ECGs, etc.

Am I excited for this part of my medical career to be over? YES!
But I really believe I have some of the best experiences possible because of it, when I am asked about what I "would do" when faced with difficult patients, families, ethical situations, etc. in interviews i have multiple examples of what i have done.

sry for the long post! summary: go for it if you can stand to be a 'bitch' for awhile and clean up some poop.:rolleyes:

Do home health care. It's WAY better than working in hospitals or nursing homes (better pay AND a more rewarding patient contact experience IMO)

what is a cna?

Certified Nurse Assistant. In my state (not Vermont), you can get certified on the job if you work in a tertiary care facility, so doing the training course may or may not be worth it. I think that the certification is a must for work as a Home Health Aide (HHA) and necessary for individuals wanting to become Certified Medication Aides (CMA's, not to be confused with Medical Assistants) who are primarly employed in nursing homes.

To get a job as a nurse tech (or ER Tech) in my state, one must be a CNA with phlebotomy training or an EMT-B, but nursing students can also be hired for those jobs at many facilities. I've seen advertisements around the country for training as Medication Administration Technicians (MATs), but I really don't know where they are used.