Taking a college course you've already received AP credit for

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComradeDoktor

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took AP Physics-Mechanics in high school and got a 5 on the AP exam. I'm coming up to my last few quarters in college, and I've realized I don't have a full year of physics that medical schools ask for. I've already had enough physics to finish my major (one quarter of e&m and one quarter of waves & optics). For my last quarter of physics, I could take a quarter of mechanics (really easy) and not get any college credit for it because I already have the AP credit, or I can take quantum physics and risk my GPA. Would med schools be ok with me using a class I can't get credit for to fill my premed requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

The AP fills the requirements at many schools if it is on your college transcript. You might wanna check with the schools you want to apply to before wasting time and money on another course you won't get credit for.

You can always take mechanics and void your AP score. I had a 5 on AP Calc AB, retook the course my freshman year, got the A, voided my AP score and added a nice 4.0 to my transcript. I only did it though to refresh my memory as I'm a math minor...

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always take mechanics and void your AP score. I had a 5 on AP Calc AB, retook the course my freshman year, got the A, voided my AP score and added a nice 4.0 to my transcript. I only did it though to refresh my memory as I'm a math minor...

i did the same with one year of biology, one semester of english, and one semester of calculus. they were definitely gpa boosters :thumbup:

This. I don't know how your school does it but I just had to call the advising office, tell them what I want to take, and they put an override on my AP credit. Then the classes are just added to my transcript like normal, and grade does count.

Did this for both semesters of bio and 1 semester of physics.