Taking a gap semester 2nd semester of Jr yr? Hoping UCLA/USC/Penn and etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SobeLifes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently a sophomore MCB major at a top 20 ranked undergrad.
I have 3.6 GPA currently and I can pull 3.7 by the time I apply.
I really wish to take a gap semester during the second semester of Junior year
for my personal improvements (hobbies, getting better in shape, travel, explore dental field where I am originally from, spend time with my parents, take DAT).
I have been taking summer classes (and plan to take classes for this summer) and I have been working during winter, doing internship at a dental office (had never really time off:/)
I just want to take some time off and do what I have mentioned above while taking "a gap semester"
My close friend of mine keep warning me that taking a gap semester is looked bad on dental application;
I do not care too much of what (adcome) think about me UNLESS of course, if taking a gap semester for the second semester of Junior year is that detrimental to the eye of dental adcom.

Taking a gap semester for second semester of Junior year has few benefits.
2nd semester Junior: gap semester
Junior Summer: classes
Senior year: classes/ work at a lab
Senior Summer: apply dental school (asap)
Super senior "a" semester: classes /interviews
Second semester of super senior: a gap semester (take time off/ continue to work at a lab)

Instead of taking a full gap year after graduating, I can only take a semester off (which I believe is enough/ appropriate time to take a break rather than a whole year).

My friend also warns me that taking classes and going to interviews are impossible (although I think it is doable unless I apply too many schools). Oh I (wish!) to attend top dental school like UCLA, Penn, USC (and of course any other dental school I would be happy<3)

I just wanted to hear if taking a gap semester for 2nd semester junior year was a bad idea.
Also I really appreciate on an opinion about taking classes while attending interviews are doable.
Thank you for your help,

Members don't see this ad.

Will you lose any scholarships? At my undergrad, if we didn't stay a full time student at all times, we lost any scholarships that the school awarded us.

It may be looked upon unfavorably. Key word is may as I'm not certain. If you can't go a full 4 years through college without the need for "personal time" why should a dental school think you won't do the same during their program? They are making an investment in you as much as you are making an investment in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of those schools is not like the others. Interesting personal rankings

If your DAT is solid and you maintain your GPA I don't think a gap semester would be looked at unfavorably at all.

It may be looked upon unfavorably. Key word is may as I'm not certain. If you can't go a full 4 years through college without the need for "personal time" why should a dental school think you won't do the same during their program? They are making an investment in you as much as you are making an investment in them.

I was thinking in same line... at the same time, why not take a semester off rather than go through 4 year straight & taking a gap year. I just wanted to be smart about it (which may be looked negatively like you have said)

One of those schools is not like the others. Interesting personal rankings

If your DAT is solid and you maintain your GPA I don't think a gap semester would be looked at unfavorably at all.

Thank you <333 I wish so.