MD Taking a gap year, what should I work on? (stats inside)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Interferon-beta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I've been a lurker for a while, so I decided I'd sign up and post. I'm taking a gap year, planning on applying to MD and MD/PhD programs. I haven't compiled a list of schools yet, but my top choices would be UCLA, UCSF, UCI, Stanford, Harvard, Yale, WashU, Hopkins, NYU, Columbia, Baylor, Duke.

State: California
cGPA: 4.0
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT 37

Extracurriculars:
Research: over 3 years experience (probably 2000+ hours). I've received a grant for my research and have published on project in Nature Immunology. Currently working on a few more projects which I will be presenting at the university poster day.

Teaching: Undergraduate Assistant for Life Science Lab and Teaching Assistant for Lower Division Molecular Biology Course

Shadowing: 50 Hours Internal Medicine, 20 hours Neurosurgery, 10 hours ER

Volunteering:
-Health Clinics (3 years)
-Student Volunteer at Medical Center (100 hours)
-Tutor and soccer coach at local after school program

Thanks in advance
IFNB

Members don't see this ad.

Your Nature paper will go a long way. Besides that, however, nothing else seems particularly noteworthy. How many years were you a soccer coach?

What else are you passionate in? What other ECs do you see yourself doing potentially for a year? I am not sure if you should simply put even more efforts into research for more publications, rather than spreading out yourself too thin.

I'm taking a gap year, planning on applying to MD and MD/PhD programs. I haven't compiled a list of schools yet, but my top choices would be UCLA, UCSF, UCI, Stanford, Harvard, Yale, WashU, Hopkins, NYU, Columbia, Baylor, Duke.

MCAT 37

Extracurriculars:
Research: over 3 years experience (probably 2000+ hours). I've received a grant for my research and have published on project in Nature Immunology. Currently working on a few more projects which I will be presenting at the university poster day.

Teaching: Undergraduate Assistant for Life Science Lab and Teaching Assistant for Lower Division Molecular Biology Course

Volunteering:

Thanks in advance
IFNB
Top schools like to see peer leadership, since they aim to train future leaders in medicine. And it helps if your application has a hook: something unique or quirky that helps you stand out and makes you memorable. Also, be sure to include hobbies (including sports) and artistic interests as a way to help you look well-rounded.

Contact local houses of worship for opportunities in volunteering. I'm a big fan of Big Borthers/Sisters and Habitat for Humanity myself.

Hi
I've been a lurker for a while, so I decided I'd sign up and post. I'm taking a gap year, planning on applying to MD and MD/PhD programs. I haven't compiled a list of schools yet, but my top choices would be UCLA, UCSF, UCI, Stanford, Harvard, Yale, WashU, Hopkins, NYU, Columbia, Baylor, Duke.

MCAT 37

Extracurriculars:

Volunteering:

Thanks in advance
IFNB