Taking a Leave of Absence after MS2? - Pilot Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quax

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my first year this fall and this will need a lot of planning, so I'm trying to think ahead....I'm interested in taking a 2 year leave of absence after MS2 to train as a F-16 pilot in the National Guard. Is there anyone on here that knows of someone who has done something similar (taking a leave of absence for something not necessarily medically related)?

A lot of you will say if that is what you really want to do, just be a pilot, but I don't see why I can't do both. The military has a small group of pilot-physicians (fully certified pilots + MDs), plus there are tons of civilian professionals in the guard and reserves. There are even PhDs in the enlisted ranks.

*Why didn't I do this before med school? - I have become increasing interested in flying over the last 2 years or so and am just beginning to go for my private pilot license (basically a minimum to enter the guard or reserves as a pilot).

*Why don't I wait until after med school? - If I wait much longer than 2 years, my age becomes a factor to be accepted for military pilot training.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are planning on making it part of your career in medicine, then it may be acceptable. For example, if you are in the armed forces HPSP and this will help you in your future service time. Otherwise, I have no idea how residencies might look at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Quax,

I'm doing the same thing, and it has been AMAZINGLY difficult to set up. Of course its worth it, but think of it from the school's perspective:

1) Its not two years, its actually four, as your first two back from UPT are full-time "seasoning" where you're flying 4-5 times per week. So essentially, you'll be pseudo-active duty for a total of four years. A two year leave of absence after your second year of medical school is reasonable to swing, but four is a whole other issue.

2) Once you get done with your four, you're still committed to essentially 3 out of 4 weekends for 8 years. I don't mean for this to sound bad, because its really awesome, but its a tough sell to residency programs.

3) You have to get selected by a Guard Unit. I interviewed at 6 units before I got in, and had to compete with some really top-notch guys in the process. Its much more competetive than medical school admissions by a longshot, and most guys applying then had 500-800 hours of commercial time. This was pre-9/11, pre-furloughs, pre-airline industry going to hell too. Now there's 50 out of work 26 year old commercial guys with 2,000 hours for every Viper slot in the Guard. Did you say you were working on your PPL? :oops:

I don't mean to discourage you, because it can be done. I'm still trying to convince my medschool to take me back "someday" when I get done with UPT and beyond. If I were in your position, I would probably delay enrollment for a year, haul ass on the PPL, visit some Guard Units, and get in somewhere within a year. Then you can just put medical school off or blow it off entirely.

Good luck,

HamOn

Resurrecting ancient thread.

Can any of those update on what happened with your training? Was just thinking about this same topic.

Resurrecting ancient thread.

Can any of those update on what happened with your training? Was just thinking about this same topic.

Interesting user name.
Training to be a pilot.
:scared:

Lol didnt think of that. Alrdy explained my name in a previous post.

But really. Any updates?