Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

taking a princeton review prep course

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by fattymangox03, May 3, 2007.

1. fattymangox03

Resident [Any Field]
    i plan on taking a mcat prep course during the fall term with princeton review. however, i will also be taking physics 2 & lab and a human physiology course with it. then i plan on taking the mcats in january. is this a good idea to take a prep course without completing the basic science courses and taking both at the same time? should i wait to take the prep course in the winter term and take the mcat in spring instead?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. midn

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you have all the other basic sciences done? If so, you'll be perfectly fine. By the time you get to the physics 2 stuff in your MCAT class, you'll already have done it in class and it should be review to you. You'll probably actually be better off than people who took it years ago.

I'm taking TPR right now, by the way. I would make sure to take good notes and actually use a different color pen for the stuff they tell you to memorize. It really does come up on the practice tests and remembering that stuff can make a few point difference. Keep your notes organized too. I half-assed my notes and now I have to go and scavenge most the material through their terrible review book.

4. .surgical.

.surgical. Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took TPR. The biggest flaw is that they teach you 2x as much as you actually need to know for the real deal. Biggest perk is that you get all 10 of the AAMC tests included with the costs.

I think you are very, very wise to take Physiology and Physics the same semster as the MCAT.

IDEAL MCAT CLASS SCHEDULE:
    Physics
    Analytical Chem (Great inorganic review)
    Human Physiology (Best BIO prep IMO)
    If you can take it, Cell Biology

If I had this schedule the semester of the MCAT (BTW I took 2 of these the same semester of the MCAT, and I wish I had taken all 4), you will not even need a prep course. Everyone in my TPR class that had physiology was sooo set on the BS section, because they were learning the same material needed for the MCAT. I had physics and analyitical chem, and I felt blessed on the physical sciences section.

g/l you you

5. hopeinternist

hopeinternist New Member

Medical Student
    why did u guys take TPR instead of Kaplan or EK? and what do u guys think about this schedule, i m gonna be a soph this year and i dont think i ll be able to take physics. So i m planning to take physics next summer at a local college, and sorta review everything like bio chem and orgo for the MCAT by just using EK books. Then i m gonna sign up for TPR or Kaplan in the fall and then take the MCAT in january.

6. hopeinternist

hopeinternist New Member

Medical Student
  7. Barts

Barts Member

Medical Student
    TPR = Biggest waste of money I have ever experienced. :(

Use EK books and AAMC practice tests-you can save yourself at least $1000 and if you have the experience I had, the EK and AAMC tests will be much more helpful than TPR.

8. vicinihil

vicinihil Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I think TPR has very strong classroom portion and Science workbook is VERY helpful.

Kaplan has crappy classroom but excellent materials.

9. hopeinternist

hopeinternist New Member

Medical Student
    anyone else have any thoughts about this? especially the plan i outlined two posts above

10. ymnCheetos

Medical Student
    Personally I thought that TPR was a great big waste of my time and money. The physics book was good and their orgo was good too, but their verbal and bio SUCKED IMO. I don't think analytical is necessary before the MCAT either. Anatomy and Physiology was by far the best class that I have taken for MCAT prep.

Anyways forget about that, about the original post...

On one hand taking the classes along with the TPR course could help make the concepts more concrete, and you probably wont forget much. On the other hand it is very very difficult too keep up with studying for both the MCAT and your classes. I took Genetics and Biochem along with a TPR course and I ended up not studying at all for the MCAT until 4 weeks beforehand, when my semester had let up. I would say your best bet is to do well in your fall classes and take the MCAT in the spring.

11. RoadRunner17

RoadRunner17 Fleet of feet
    Moderator Emeritus

This is slightly unrelated, but if you choose not to take TPR, I think one of the better parts of TPR is the Science workbook which is really useful for practicing in the sciences. You can get it second-hand from a friend who's taken the class, but you can't get it commercially. But most people (including me) who have it, strongly recommend it.