Taking a research year after MS2 vs after MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maruchan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question about taking a research year:

Do most people do this after MS2 or after MS3? I saw an old thread about this but it seemed a bit dated and not overly conclusive. What are the pros+cons of each? It seems like DDCF is only for post-MS3, is that correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question about taking a research year:

Do most people do this after MS2 or after MS3? I saw an old thread about this but it seemed a bit dated and not overly conclusive. What are the pros+cons of each? It seems like DDCF is only for post-MS3, is that correct?

After 3rd year is the standard as far as I know. Advantage of doing it after 2 would be you don't disrupt your clinical training, but disadvantage is you will lack clinical knowledge and will also be possibly less sure of your career goals.

Doing it after 3rd year. I've generally seen people take research years after 3rd year, and if they're going for a masters, between 2nd and 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a path fellowship after 2nd year. MD/PhD is after 2nd year. Masters is after 2nd year.

Is it done at all to take a research year, no master's/fellowship, between 2 and 3?