Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Taking a science class in summer?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hopefulmed195, Apr 15, 2007.

1. hopefulmed195

A biology minor, I want to take Biochemistry. It's worth 4 credits, and there's no room for it in my schedule for my junior and senior year. Furthermore, I'm taking Physics I and Microbiology in first semester and Physics II and Human Genetics in second semester as a junior. As a senior, I will take 2 English classes and finish my major requirements. So, I'm thinking of taking Biochemistry in the summer, especially after junior year. I want to do very well in Biochemistry since it's 4 credits and may make or break my BCMP. Is it a bad idea to take it in summer? If so, I will try to take it in my senior year, but will medical schools know I'm taking it that late? Sorry for a long post. I appreciate you taking your time to read it!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jmart

jmart Member

Pre-Medical
    Why would taking it in the summer be a bad idea. I have taken two classes in the summer. THe first was my last gen chem and because most people it was their only class there was no curve so I ended up doing over 100 pts better than my other 2 gen chems but getting the lowest grade. The other class I took in the summer was the last ogranic lecutre. I was trying to study for the mcat at the same time and it was just too much for me. I say take advantage of taking classes in the summer espeically if you can really focus on them and get a good grade.

4. Dr.D-man

Pre-Medical
    I wouldn't take any other classes with it. Taking a difficult class in the summer is fine if you are able to spend enough time studying for it. Good luck.

5. bigman43

bigman43 Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    im taking orgo 1 + 2 this summer just so I can take biochem 1 + 2 next year as a junior before mcats

6. prmdbeach17

Pre-Medical
    I'm in my first summer week of organic 2 right now..I think it'll be good b/c I have no other classes and you need a lot of time to digest the material. The professor is also setting up extra recitations since it's only 6 weeks and moves so fast.

7. prmdbeach17

Pre-Medical
    And yeah they'll know if you're taking it senior year b/c I think you have to list the classes you plan on taking on your AMCAS app. so they know you'll have all the required classes.

8. nabs86

Medical Student
    I took orgo I and II the summer after my freshman year. It was a lot of work but I'm so glad it was over in just 8 weeks. Plus it made the rest of my year much easier.

9. ncguy2005

ncguy2005 ...

I'm taking Physics I and II this summer with two very easy general education requirements. So I'll be doing a total of 14 credits, which sounds tough, but I don't think it'll be that bad.

10. geneticclone

geneticclone Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Im doing chem I ,second english requirement, and ...dummy math.

11. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    :thumbup: Vector Calc (Calc III) & Chem II