Taking a semester off before optometry school....good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subedude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if taking this coming spring semester off before starting optometry school in the fall is a bad idea? I have been accepted to NOVA, and I will be attending starting fall 09. However, I will have completed all my pre-reqs by the end of this semester (I applied as 90 + credits) and have nothing further that I'm required to take before starting there. What I was planning on doing was just taking some classes I'm interested in, and just leaving it at that (yes, I have already told NOVA this). The only thing that concerns me is whether or not NOT taking any sciences from next January till optometry school starts is going to hinder me in any way when I start optometry school? Any advice will be appreciated...thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same question. I will be done with all my requirements for my degree as well and I don't want to waste money and time taking other random science classes for a semester!

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if taking this coming spring semester off before starting optometry school in the fall is a bad idea? I have been accepted to NOVA, and I will be attending starting fall 09. However, I will have completed all my pre-reqs by the end of this semester (I applied as 90 + credits) and have nothing further that I'm required to take before starting there. What I was planning on doing was just taking some classes I'm interested in, and just leaving it at that (yes, I have already told NOVA this). The only thing that concerns me is whether or not NOT taking any sciences from next January till optometry school starts is going to hinder me in any way when I start optometry school? Any advice will be appreciated...thanks.

If you are a reasonably good student, then it is highly UNlikely that taking a semester off will cause you any harm.

However, I think that it's important for anyone considering a sabatical of any type to make a specific plan for that time. Don't use it to "save up money" or something vague like that. Use it to have a particular experience whether it's travel, volunteer work, or learning to play the piano.

Just have a plan for "something" and you will get a lot more out of your time off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well ya, I'm definitely going to make good use of my time that's for sure. Well I'm glad to hear something positive about it..thanks!!

I pretty much took last semester off. I took a couple psychologies and a business management class, but mostly I just worked to save up money. It costs money to move to whereever you are going and to get a new apartment or whatever, so without that I wouldn't have even been able to come. I also got married in March and spent lots of time planning that and enjoying it too. I do slightly regret not taking any further classes that would have helped me though. I was a chemistry major so I never had anatomy or genetics, etc. and I feel far behind others who have.

Anyway, its a personal choice. I don't think in the end it will matter whether or not you took the classes or not, you might have some catching up to do, or it might take you a little longer to get back in the swing of things, but it will all be fine. If you have the money and time to do something great for a few months, definitely do it!

Last edited:
I'd take it off. Actually I did take it off when I was in your shoes. We were on quarters and I had all my stuff done in 2 yrs and 2 quarters. I lived with my folks got a job driving a tractor for several months and pocketed some cash. It was nice to have a break actually. Only way I might consider it is if you are on a full scholarship and your housing situation is affordable. Then you might use it as an opportunity to take some business and economics courses. I promise you these will be much more useful one day than some extra science classes. As I stated, I only went 2.5 years undergraduate and I wasn't behind anyone else. Sure there were some concepts I had to learn that others knew, but it didn't set me back any. And I'm certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed and I passed part one boards with minimal effort, which is the only place some extra science might come in handy. Sounds like you've already had more science than I ever did. As a frame of reference I graduated in 2002, so things shouldn't be too terribly different now.

thanks for the help...ya I think I am going to be taking some business/management courses because they offer those online..they only thing that got me nervous is my lack of biochem knowledge..i pretty much breezed through that class because I had all the old tests...didn't learn a single thing..but I heard biochem at nova isn't that bad so I think I'll be able to pick it up pretty easily

thanks for the help...ya I think I am going to be taking some business/management courses because they offer those online..they only thing that got me nervous is my lack of biochem knowledge..i pretty much breezed through that class because I had all the old tests...didn't learn a single thing..but I heard biochem at nova isn't that bad so I think I'll be able to pick it up pretty easily

lol... went to UF didnt you? Dr. Allison was so chill. im at NOVA right now... whats your name? maybe i gave you a tour...

I took a year off and enjoyed it. Spent the year as a research scientist at a big diagnostics company. Only downside is you lose a year of OD experience in the long run.

taking a semester off is no problem

I know taht u guys r seek and tired of this kind of questions, but i have a similar issues. I'm done with all my pre-courses and have mroe than 90 credits. I'm gonna graduate in spring and only need and english class and one bio elective which i am planning to take biochem. however, i am minoring in psychology and need to take 2 more classes. I was thinking to dropp of the minor but i'm not sure what will be teh reaction of school (SUNY). I don't know if i tell them or just drop it.I appreciate your help

take the time off and relax... there will be times in school you won't have much down time to yourself, so take it when you can get it.

AA

Take the time off. (not just to you OP but to the others as well!) Believe me, you'll want a break in between if you can get one. We have a good amount of students who took either a semester or a full year off. It won't hurt you.

I was in the same situation. Already accepting into multiple opt schools & enough credits to graduate at Christmas.

I wound up taking only courses that I knew would prove helpful (upper-level business, technical writing) & areas I was interested in (early American history, a "film vs the novel: comparision course. My big criteria was no labs (something I never experienced before) and a schedule that allowed me to work in an OD's office.

Learning the ins & outs of the optical side will give you a leg up on your classmates in certain courses and pick your OD boss's brain every chance you get for pearls of wisdom.