Taking a semester off before the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDBK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation.

I got started on the alternate semester co-op program this Spring. That is, I work this semester, take classes in the summer, work in fall, take classes in Spring, and so on... until I have at least 3 work terms.

But having worked for 4 months, I hate my work. But I don't want to go back to school in Fall because my schedule works out weirdly and will end up graduating in Fall 2015--I can't anymore graduate in Spring 2015 as I would've if I didn't start co-op, and staying another semester at school to graduate in Spring 2016 will make me stay in school for more than 8 semesters which means I will lose some scholarship. (But if I take this fall semester off it doesn't count, so I won't have to pay for the extra semester)

As long as I can find another position for Fall I will be fine and can stay on the program. Or I can drop out of this program (and med schools won't know if I do). My problem is it's very hard to find an internship in Fall... and I am taking the MCAT in January. Does it look bad if I just study full-time the semester before the MCAT? I never intended to do so, but it just pans out nicely if I don't work or take classes in Fall because everything can go as I planned.

Sorry for poor readability. English is my second language and today I'm too tired to bother checking for errors, which I find a handful every time I do.

TLDR: Not taking classes in Fall will let me graduate in Spring, and I take my MCAT in January. Will it look bad, though, if I take a semester off to just study for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to add: even if I don't take the MCAT in January I want to take one semester off (hopefully doing something other than crawling in the bed) so I can graduate in Spring. My question would be better worded if I say: "I want to take a semester off and it happens to be the semester right before the MCAT, so I want to study for the MCAT in that semester but will it look bad from the adcom's perspective??"

Thanks so much in advance.

I want to add: even if I don't take the MCAT in January I want to take one semester off (hopefully doing something other than crawling in the bed) so I can graduate in Spring. My question would be better worded if I say: "I want to take a semester off and it happens to be the semester right before the MCAT, so I want to study for the MCAT in that semester but will it look bad from the adcom's perspective??"

Thanks so much in advance.
Do well on it and nobody will care.

Do well on it and nobody will care.

^ This + don't say that you took the semester off just to study for the MCAT. Get involved with some other activities to construct a sort of premed Trojan horse around your secret only-studying-for-the-MCAT motives.