• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

gamepad

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Will taking a semester off to master Starcraft 2 negatively impact my medical school candidacy?

There is a chance I might travel to foreign countries for tournaments. This could be good material during the interview.

What do you guys think?

Chuckwalla

10+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Will taking a semester off to master Starcraft 2 negatively impact my medical school candidacy?

There is a chance I might travel to foreign countries for tournaments. This could be good material during the interview.

What do you guys think?

Well in the interview you can talk about how your main strategy is to swarm your enemy with the Zerg's superior number advantage. You can follow with how you would use your Queen unit to defend your base while you constantly attack. And do not forget to say that the SC 2 Queen resembles the original SC Queen only in name.

Seriously, how do you think that is going to come across. I am excited about Starcraft 2 as well. But even talking about it in an interview sounds like a bad idea, much less taking off an entire semester for it.

gwill024

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

What do you guys think?

my first though was...is this serious? Hey, life is all about doing the things you love and if that happens to be playing a video game for money then more power to you. (I play for fun during my free time) However, if you think it might hurt your chances in medical school and that is your ULTIMATE goal, why would you even chance it. Long term versus short term gratification is really the debate here.

It has been mentioned many times before...even though games are becoming more and more mainstream, the "typical" 50 yr old is not a gamer and did not grow up playing games. Maybe when our generation is running hospitals it will be more acceptable, but it just isn't considered "art" like movies or music...yet.

One last thought. If you are passionate about it and can draw some interesting experiences it might be good interview fodder. Would it be better than the absolutely amazing volunteer work or research you could have done over the summer? Depends on how you spin it.

About the Ads

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2008
La Jolla
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Dude seriously?

one word:

awsome

a few more words:

Don't do it!

What do you guys think?

At first I thought you had to be completely kidding... but listen, if it makes you happy, do it. At least it demonstrates to med schools that you have other interests, and that is the most important thing they want to hear. They want to know that after you study/work 80 hours a week and you finally get a day off you won't spend it studying more or thinking about work and going insane.

Its not the worst hobby in the world. I know a guy who told his interviewers that one of his hobbies is "wet shaving". Or shaving with straight blade like the ones Sweeney Todd used. The adcom must have had fun with that one.

Wylde

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

What do you guys think?

I don't see the problem? It's just taking a semester off from school, it's not like the gods are going to come smite you down.

Contrary to what 95% of the people on this forum believe, life does NOT revolve around getting into medical school. You can do things that you want to do... life is about living and having fun!!!

If you took a semester off for a PC game like Starcraft 2, no one would ever let you into their medical school.

Now if it were to train and compete in the Madden Nation competition, that's a TOTALLY different story. Winning something like that would probably be QUITE the application booster! :D

RapplixGmed

Looking for the Ether
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Dude, I would worship you forever if you actually did this and talked about it during an interview. I'm eagerly waiting for SC2 as much as you are.

With that said, you'll probably be screwing yourself over.

MassTransport

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I know how seriously Starcraft is taken in other parts of the world (read: South Korea), but you run the serious risk of your interviews and admissions committees not being so "cosmopolitan." Think about who your average interviewer is going to be, and think about how they'll perceive a title of "professional gamer."

It's a gamble, and I feel that it'll hurt you in more places than help.

About the Ads

CoolSpot7Up

10+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I think competitive gaming is definitely a fun experience to have, and hey, if you can say you won several thousand dollars for doing it I'd say it would look pretty cool on your application.

Granted, most physician interviewers might not care as much, but I'm sure the student interviewers would think it's cool. Some people work pointless jobs or wash dishes in labs to pay for college. If you do it in video games (something you love), more power to you.

Although, I would not recommend taking off an entire semester for it. It is still a hobby/EC and schoolwork is the most important thing to focus on. If you can pull off the competitions while still taking classes and doing well, then I'd say do it.

se2131

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Its not the worst hobby in the world. I know a guy who told his interviewers that one of his hobbies is "wet shaving". Or shaving with straight blade like the ones Sweeney Todd used. The adcom must have had fun with that one.

Hey, I wet shave too! Don't knock it 'till you try it. Though I don't use a straight blade, I use a double-edge razor, like this: http://www.emsplace.com/images10/rzslantcloseboth.jpg . I actually enjoy shaving now, as opposed to when I was using a Mach3.

To the OP: I'd go for it, but then again i'm not an adcom. I highly doubt that it would help your application, but I also don't think that it would hurt you significantly (or maybe at all). But I'll echo the above poster's sentiments about not taking a semester off to do it.

If you took a semester off for a PC game like Starcraft 2, no one would ever let you into their medical school.

Now if it were to train and compete in the Madden Nation competition, that's a TOTALLY different story. Winning something like that would probably be QUITE the application booster! :D

Those people on the Madden shows are so trashy its unbelievable...

by the way, All Pro Football 2k8 is 100x better than Madden. Madden and NCAA haven't been decent since they came to the 360 and PS3. Play it if you don't believe me.. I thought it would suck and its the best football game in a while.

mc4435

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Can't you just do it during the summer?

I just think interviewers are used to hearing legitimate reasons for people *needing* to take off a semester (illness, family problems, money issues) and they might not think you take getting into med school seriously. Then again, it's your life, and in no way is it impossible for you to get in somewhere if you do this.

edfig99

15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Academic Administration
OP: have you had other experiences in competitive gaming that will be visible on your application, or would this be the only time?

i'm kinda torn. personally i don't think it's a problem if you've been competitive for some time, and that participating in this type of competition would present you with unique opportunities that you would otherwise not have had. i mean, you won't really have this opportunity during med school and beyond...and really life is so much more than what adcoms look for an applications.

If you aren't a competitive gamer and this is something that's going to be seen as a whim, then there could be some blowback as the other posters in the thread allude to.

but if you do really well in your pre-med coursework, maintaining high grades, doing well on exams and getting in other "med school appropriate" ECs I don't personally see why this would be a problem. I'm personally not familiar with the game, but talking up the tournament experiences would be great convo during an interview.

Bartelby

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't see the problem? It's just taking a semester off from school, it's not like the gods are going to come smite you down.

Contrary to what 95% of the people on this forum believe, life does NOT revolve around getting into medical school. You can do things that you want to do... life is about living and having fun!!!

Good advice!

Schedule a bunch of your easier gen ed classes for that semester, take about 12 credits, and do a small amount of research on the side. Take the rest of your time to play Starcraft. Or take a semester off school and work a part-time job so you can just say you needed a little time off.

Monarch Kong

It means King Kong
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

What do you guys think?

It could be, it's a little risky, but if you do you will be my hero.

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2007
Keeping Warm
Status (Visible)
It would probably more risky for you than for most people because you've already taken time off a couple of times. Gaps in education often have to be explained. Too many gaps might cause some people to question your ability to commit yourself to your education and follow through.

About the Ads

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
Houston, Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Don't let SC2 be the only thing that you do that semester. Besides, I wouldn't plan around a game that may never be released (like Starcraft: Ghost).

And the release date for that game is "when it is done". You might be in your residency by then, young grasshopper!

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
261457181_83009a8652_o.jpg

Handy388

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If I took a semester off, traveled to Europe to do something I love the most: Picking up European chicks, I think that will resonate a lot more with the 50 yr old interviewer than say, being a pro SC player.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2008
La Jolla
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If I took a semester off, traveled to Europe to do something I love the most: Picking up European chicks, I think that will resonate a lot more with the 50 yr old interviewer than say, being a pro SC player.

picking up european chicks or being a pro SC player....

there must be a trick here somewhere!!!

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If I get accepted EDP then I am going to take the semester off, fly somewhere random..maybe europe, maybe south america...maybe australia..who knows. Just roam around with a camera, guitar, and my backpack. I should probably go to Russia before we are back at war with them.

kedrin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
do it, it is one less person to compete with.
haha gunner fodder

really i think if you really really think that you need to do this then do it. You have the choice of not telling the schools what you did that semester. You could even make something up if you wanted to.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2008
La Jolla
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
do it, it is one less person to compete with.
haha gunner fodder

really i think if you really really think that you need to do this then do it. You have the choice of not telling the schools what you did that semester. You could even make something up if you wanted to.

yes like telling the adcom that you were working on a program to re-integrate convicts into the working society through the extermination of pests in various neighborhoods. Not too far from the truth of what sc2 is!:D

Although I think if you are good at sc2 you must be good at multi-tasking and keeping a long attention span, essential for a surgeon!

About the Ads

closer23

Liberal
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
OP: How competitive are you in SC? I think that's what matters most. If you're one of the nations best, for example, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, just play in your free time.

gamepad

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Here is the story: I played an unhealthy amount of computer games in high school. I made mediocre grades in high school and my skill at Starcraft was still lackluster. I decided school was more important so I quit video games altogether.

If I am going to do something, I want to be the best at it. Currently I put my efforts into being the best student (my grades show). With the release of SC2 I really want to play, but there's no point in playing if I'm not the best. This leaves me with the solution of dedicating an entire semester to developing my Starcraft prowess.

When SC2 comes out, I'll play approximately 7-8 hours a day like a normal job and still have a social life outside of swarming my enemies with Zerglings. Really, skill at this game (or most any game) is commensurate to time spent playing.

This will be a sort of 5 month tour of Starcraft 2; a recrudescence of my high school Starcraft fever. I will register for classes in the subsequent semester.

bandroxor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
if you take off a semseter for team fortress 2, then that's fine.

i never got around to playing SC but i heard it's good. maybe i'll try SC2

you should then move to korea, become the #1 player and you'll be a celeb. you'll then have celeb status and get accepted into any medical school. do that.

closer23

Liberal
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Here is the story: I played an unhealthy amount of computer games in high school. I made mediocre grades in high school and my skill at Starcraft was still lackluster. I decided school was more important so I quit video games altogether.

If I am going to do something, I want to be the best at it. Currently I put my efforts into being the best student (my grades show). With the release of SC2 I really want to play, but there's no point in playing if I'm not the best. This leaves me with the solution of dedicating an entire semester to developing my Starcraft prowess.

When SC2 comes out, I'll play approximately 7-8 hours a day like a normal job and still have a social life outside of swarming my enemies with Zerglings. Really, skill at this game (or most any game) is commensurate to time spent playing.

This will be a sort of 5 month tour of Starcraft 2; a recrudescence of my high school Starcraft fever. I will register for classes in the subsequent semester.

In that case, I say go for it! Make your decision whether or not you'll lie about this leave of absence later.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If I was going to take a semester off in the middle of undergrad to do something, it would have been something really cool, like this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63CwsiAqLcA[/YOUTUBE]

Chris127

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
Eh, I'll probably try Starcraft II, but back in middle school, when everyone else was playing Starcraft, I was playing Age of Empires II.

seraph524

M0
10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Forget about Starcraft II. When Diablo 3 comes out, I'm going to kiss my med school career goodbye!

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Forget about Starcraft II. When Diablo 3 comes out, I'm going to kiss my med school career goodbye!

Oh man. Diablo 2 sucked my high school life. I had 5 level 99 characters and 3 accounts just for mules. I also had 2 serious hardcore characters..One was a level 83 and the other was like a 75 I think. Been a while.

TPBC

15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2004
Status (Visible)
Oh man. Diablo 2 sucked my high school life. I had 5 level 99 characters and 3 accounts just for mules. I also had 2 serious hardcore characters..One was a level 83 and the other was like a 75 I think. Been a while.

Just tell the adcoms that gaming increases your ability to perform Image Guided (robotic) Surgery. You'll get in for sure!

Wylde

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Maybe I missed something, but why do you need to tell an ADCOM about this?

Can't you just take a year off to find yourself/relax/etc.

coffeebythelake

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Cleveland
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

What do you guys think?

Might work if you are applying to medical schools in Korea.

jelly476

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Two words " Power Overwhelming." As long as you are guaranteed to win 200 grand in South Korea, use it to pay for medical school!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.