Taking a year off b4 MS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crookshanks

Juju
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I did a search for "year off" but nothing came up, so I was wondering if any of you have the intentions of taking this time off before medical school. I don't have a choice, it's kinda how it worked out for me, I'll have to work during that year...looking for ideas of what I could do during that year. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

it was the best thing i ever did. it doesn't technically matter what you do after interviews are over, but try to do something you love. bounce around between things, explore hobbies and the first free time you've had in a while. travel, grow personally. who you become is more important than what you do.

I believe most matriculants these days are applying after their senior year of college instead of their junior year.

Adcoms look favorably upon a year in between undergrad and medical school if you use your time to mature, and grow as a person. As the above user mentioned, travel, maybe learn another language etc. Have fun and enjoy the only free year you'll have possibly until retirement!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm...well, I haven't even applied yet. I will apply next summer probably. But I also graduate next May and I'll have to work in between then and med school (if I get in).

I also took the year off and I would suggest it even to those that don't have too. I got to do all the things that I haven't had time for because of undergrad. It might be hard to get past the idea that you are getting yourself a year behind, but you are getting ready for the years ahead. Like sprinkibrio said, enjoy it, go explore. I traveled, bought a couple houses, remodeled a house, started painting, took some classes, and saved up a lot of money for moving out. I also had a lot more time to devote to family and friends whom sort of got the side burner during my undergrad. I am now relaxed, rested, and ready for med school. It won't take long to see you are doing yourself a favor, and you will have time to make yourself a stronger candidate, and get those apps in early. The first time I applied I got all my stuff in last minute. The next year I applied early with identical applications and got interviews from 4 out of 5 that didn't the year before. Good luck.

I took a year off because I didn't get in the first time. As odd as it sounds, I coudln't be happier that I didn't get in. I had a lot of fun this year, and I think the break from the academic environment is just what I needed to prevent burn out. I'm now ready and rearing to go back to textbooks, highlighters, notes, lectures.

As for what I did, I worked as a sub teacher. I was able to take off as much time as I needed without any problems, and I was able to tell everyone I'm going to med school, so people were really happy for me when I got in, I didn't have ot hide it from anybody. Also get to leave for a month to Europe. I'll be leaving in 2 weeks and one day. Wee!

So glad I have this year off. Even though when it first came to it, I was upset, but now, I think everyone should take a year off. Besides, the stories I get from work, well, lets just say it definitly sets me apart from other interviewees.