Taking a year off between M1 and M2 due to injury, does this look badly to derm residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coldplayfan123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short: I suffered a traumatic brain injury and have been dealing with post-concussion syndrome since the end of M1. I was hoping it would improve, but I'm dealing with a few symptoms of it (headache, etc.). Should I be approved for sick-leave, would this look bad to residencies when I'm applying, all else (board scores, etc.) the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short: I suffered a traumatic brain injury and have been dealing with post-concussion syndrome since the end of M1. I was hoping it would improve, but I'm dealing with a few symptoms of it (headache, etc.). Should I be approved for sick-leave, would this look bad to residencies when I'm applying, all else (board scores, etc.) the same?

All residency applications will ask you to explain any gaps in your training. As long as you have a good explanation, I can't imagine that it would make a major impact. Best of luck with your recovery

Agreed. That seems like a pretty legitimate excuse to need some time off.

If you're really set on derm, you could also spend that time away from medical school to do some derm-related clinical research while you're recovering that might be less time intensive and more manageable than say.....MS2......

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to tell you, OP, but if you can't deal with a little TBI, maybe derm isn't for you. One of our R3s got karate-chopped in the head by a patient we were working up for longitudinal melanonychia and he had to drop out because he couldn't remember that Mycobacterium haemophilum grew on Middlebrook 7H10 agar. Looked really bad for the program. ACGME says we have to wear helmets now when we answer consults on the psych ward.

Kidding. Youll be fine OP :p.

Seriously, is this a thread? Of course it's ok. If it's not then we have some really deranged people in derm admissions committees...oh wait, they are already there.