Taking a year off? Does it hurt you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcpro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI guys,

I have a dillema. I unfortunately went unmatched this year in my specialty (not FP). As of right now, nothing has panned out in scrambling. However, I have been considering switching to FP, as this was another avenue I was thinking about pursuing. This might also help me to geographically have more options as well (given the large number of programs).

The problem is, I didn't think I was going to go into FP, so I have no Letters from FP, and have not done a FP Sub-I. I think if I were to pursue FP, I would like to enter the match this next year full heartedly, and apply to the programs I would be happiest at w/o trying to randomly scramble into some program right now.

Does taking a year off after graduation look bad to FP Program Directors? Anyone know of people who have taken a year off, what they did? Obviously doing research will be something I will pursue, but clinically are there any options for a graduated m.d. (so I don't completely forget all my clinical skills).

thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact your program of interest, explain your situation and why you would like to go there, and ask for suggestions. My guess is that they will be more than happy to try and accomidate you. FP programs seem to be very laid back about the whole application process and that's a plus for you.

it doesnt look bad at all. dont do anything in haste. get your letters and personal statement geared toward fp and get in touch with some people in the residency program you are most interested in. you have a year to make some contacts and get things going. good luck!

dr.smurf said:
it doesnt look bad at all. dont do anything in haste. get your letters and personal statement geared toward fp and get in touch with some people in the residency program you are most interested in. you have a year to make some contacts and get things going. good luck!

thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards taking a year to refocus on FP. My med school said it will allow me to still walk in June for the hooding ceremony but take one extra SubI in FP so I can get a good strong LOR and also to solidify my thoughts on FP. (graduating next year would mean having to take that new Clinical skills exam for the boards.. doesn't sound like fun :laugh: )

Given that FP is so broad, I'm assuming research in any of a variety of fields will look good, yes?

Do you guys recommend that I try and setup an informal visit to the programs I'm interested in (since they are out of state) during the summer?