Taking a Year Off for Research Before Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LightHeaded

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all.

I am a U.S. allopathic grad applying for Anesthesiology this year. I've had good interviews at my top choices considering the kind of candidate I am. My interview season's was all done and I'm all set to enter the match when my lab director comes to me and asks me to continue my research for an extra year.

I want to take the year off for a variety of reasons. Here's my question though: Would taking a year off negatively impact my chances of getting equally good Anesthesiology residency interviews the following year? Would suddenly withdrawing from the match anger a lot of programs?

I know this is case by case and depends on the residency coordinator but overall what's your impression?

Members don't see this ad.

First, let me say that I think it's rude and inconsiderate for your lab director to ask you to stick around for another year when he knows you are graduating and that you've been interviewing for anesthesia spots. You are not a slave and do not exist for the purpose of providing someone with free labor. Obviously the ideal time for a "year off" (A more political description would be "a year of research work") was after 3rd year.

I have no idea how programs would take the news. I would be somewhat upset and wonder why you weren't able to plan this a little further in advance. On the other hand I think it would be fine if you explain to them what you'd be doing, why you changed your mind and why this would make you a better anesthesiologist.

As to other issues, you seem to be doing well on the interview trail. Is a "year off" worth the risk now? Are you hoping for even better interviews? Do you think that this research work would improve you application? I'm guessing that research of some sort is already on your CV.

i say no. You're already committed to starting residency. It's a huge HUGE gamble to throw that away and start anew next year. Not to mention all the work you did going to those interviews and the expense involved. Sounds like your PI just wants cheap medstudent labor in his lab for another year. I agree he is rude and inconsiderate of the fact that you're entered into a contract and have already put forth so much effort and expense into the process, with promising results. That said, I suppose you can tell him that if you dont match you'd be glad to accept his offer to stay the 2nd year.

Just to clarify. . .so, you've already finished MS4, and are on a research year now before officially "graduating" med school and starting residency, right? If he brought this up like last sept, then i'd say yeah consider staying to finish up your project or whatever. If this isn't about finishing your own work, then no question, do NOT fall for this.

I know this is case by case and depends on the residency coordinator but overall what's your impression?

My overall impression: F that. Your lab director isn't making this request for your benefit. At this point in the game, the opportunity cost of losing a year is huge. Screw research for now. Just get your intern year done and get on with things.

Don't do it... finish residency.. research after if you want.

Gotta agree with the troops here - this last minute request by your lab director is inappropriate.

If you don't match, then consider it, if you really enjoy the work and find it useful to your career.

However, to drop out of the match at this point seems, well, pointless to me.

I would certainly not drop out of the match at this point, particularly if you're happy w/ the places you've matched and would like to end up at one or more of them.

That said, if you really think that you want to do a year of research (oh how I miss the lab) it might be worth approaching your PD w/ this situation post-Match and see what comes of it. Best case, s/he says "sure, go ahead, we'll see you next year" and you do a year of research...just make sure you have a signed contract. Worst case, s/he says "sorry, we need you now or never" and you forgo the research year. You should definitely only do this if you have some idea that your PD is a reasonable person (most are, plenty are not) and will not immediately fill your file w/ negative evaluations.

Just my $0.02.