1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Taking a Year Off

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ScOrPiO2983, Apr 20, 2004.

1. ScOrPiO2983

ScOrPiO2983 Member
    7+ Year Member

Is it better to take a year off after getting your BS if your GPA isn't too high and gain some experience before applying to med school or is it better to apply right after graduation?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    take time off. do something you'll enjoy.

4. WyldeWolf1

WyldeWolf1 Get your own!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took the year off and had a great time. I got married the summer before my senior year, and we decided that it would be great to have some time to ourselves before the med school madness starts. In the meantime, we saved money for a downpayment on a house. No apartments for us! Nosiree!

5. martianMIKE

martianMIKE Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

if you hope to increase your chances of med school, you shouldn't take a year off, imo. in other words, your year off shouldn't be free-time. definitely boost your credentials (research, volunteer, etc.) maybe even consider entering a post-bac program. it's often a good way of alleviating some of the bad effects of a not-so-awesome gpa. just my $.02.

6. CaptainJack02

CaptainJack02 let's stir and shake
    7+ Year Member

i agree with martian mike. if the gpa isn't too hot, esp the sci gpa(say, sub-3.0, as is the case with me), i think you should improve it thru formal post bacc or something else. life experiences are important, but you need the #'s to get your foot in the door.

im also tired of school where i am, so ill do post bac in a new city. it should be fun :) plus you have the summer to enjoy yourself!

good luck with whatever you choose.

captjack

7. creverte

creverte Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

i only took a year off to show my 4th year grades when i applied...i def. suggest taking at least a year off...do anything you want to do that can help you in your medical career...i am teaching high school Bio and love it...i am extremely happy w/ the year i took off as ive had time to travel, teach, make some money, have fun, and visit many schools...good luck