taking a year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beccalyn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone thought about taking your MCAT'S your senior year and then apply the following fall, basically taking a year off. Any comments??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Beccalyn,

I'm doing it. I actually had to retake the MCAT because I wasn't satisfied with my initial performance so I was, in a sense, forced to take a year off. This fall, however, I will enter the M.A. in Biomedical Science program at the Boston University School of Medicine. My goal is to go M.D./Ph.D. so this route is my best option at this point.

Taking a year off and using that year to your advantage (i.e., taking advanced science courses to boost your science GPA, gaining more clinical experience, working in a lab, etc.) will only benefit you in the long run. Plus, you'll have more time to study for the MCAT!

Together

Well, I took a year off because I chose to study abroad in ENgland my Junior year and didn't want to rush things by trying to take the MCAT right when I got back. INstead I took the MCAT April of my Senior year and things turned out ok. I was able to spend almost all the second semester just studying for the test. I am currently working in a lab and the year off has been great! I was planning a wedding so it was great having all the free time. It all works out because I am going to med school right after I get married this July. Best wishes for whatever you decide!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on both occasions!

Beccalyn,

My decision to apply to medical school came late. I took the April MCAT in my senior year and applied in the fall. I do not think it was a disadvantage and it allowed me to get some research experience - which my application was definitely lacking. I was asked about taking the year off at every interview, so be prepared to talk about it. So, if you use the year wisely it can't hurt.

Taking a year allows for more maturity and better grasp of what is really out there. :cool:

I think there is no reason to NOT do it as long as you are doing something medically related during the off year (or are still in school). The obvious advantage is that if you do not do well on your first attempt you may avoid any possible 'August angst" by taking it later the same year. The obvious disadvantage is that your scores age and you will have to retake them 1 year sooner should you fail to gain admission within the next 2-3 years (depending on individual school's requirements for age of MCAT scores).

Best of luck.