taking a year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyclopropane

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

To current pharmacy students:

Did anyone take a year off after college before pharmacy school? What is your opinion on doing that? What did you do with your free time?

Thanks..!

Cyclopropane

"God gave us two ends. One to sit on and one to think with. Success depends on which one you use; heads you win -- tails, you lose."
~ Anonymous

Members don't see this ad.

I took two years off. I hadn't finished my prereqs for various reasons, and moved to Baton Rouge with my girlfriend for other reasons (you know, running from the law...etc.). I worked for the Office of Public Health, took classes, and volunteered at a pharmacy and for other organizations. I wouldn't say there was actually any "free time" involved. I don't think taking a year off is bad, I would just use the time wisely.
-jason

Two years? Boy, I must be a Rip Van Winkle because I took four years off before heading back to pharmacy school come September. After getting my bachelors, I wanted to see what it was like working and earning a wage which lead me to work for two biotech firms in the Bay Area. First it was pure bliss, getting to learn and do what you read about in Science and Nature, but after the venture capital money dried up and our technologies we were trying to develop did not pan out, in addition to the fact that I will never earn enough to support a family with what they pay the technicans, I realized that I better do something else that I loved but would pay more, hence pharmacy.

Looking back, if I knew that pharmacy is the profession for me, I think I would have taken the six year route--two years of undergrad to complete my pharmacy prereqs and four years of pharmacy school (or three), but hindsight is always 20/20, eh? As Jason advised, if you are taking time off before you pursue a professional degree, make the time as beneficial as possible by finishing off any pharmacy prerequisites, saving some money for tuition, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
i took one year off.. wasn't sure what i wanted to do..took the lsats and almost went to law school.. but then decided on pharmacy.. i think if your gonna take a year off do it because your not sure what you want to do and need to do some soul searching.. if you know what you wanna do.. i'd say the best bet is to go right ahead and do it.. unless you wanna take the year travling around the world or doing something like that..

cool..thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure pharmacy what I want to do. The year off would mainly be to prevent the burnout.

I was very burned out after graduating last December. I've taken a year off before going back for pharmacy pre-reqs and it's been a tremendous help. I do not exaggerate when I say that I feel like I've been on sabbatical for 8 months (and I have a full-time job)! I'd recommend a year off to anyone.

i think if your gonna take a year off do it because your not sure what you want to do and need to do some soul searching.. if you know what you wanna do.. i'd say the best bet is to go right ahead and do it.. unless you wanna take the year travling around the world or doing something like that..

I wholly agree.