Taking Additional writing courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w1012869

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a little background. I am a non-trad returning to college in order to earn a second degree. My first degree is in Economics. The reason I am going back is because I have none of the science prereq's completed and I need to do some GPA repair. Anyway writing is probably my weakest area but I already have the writing requirements completed.

So here is my question would it be a waste of time to take additional writing courses in order to improve my writing sample score on the MCAT or is there a better route.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to be a great writer to score well. Taking a class just for writing isn't worth the time. US medical schools don't even care about the WS score.

If all you're looking for at the moment is to do well on the MCAT, a writing course probably won't be super helpful, and definitely not very efficient. You should first understand how the writing section on the test is graded. It's very specific, and my understanding is that they want you to very carefully follow their instructions. If they ask you to write about three things, then cover all three points, and do so in the order of the question. Look at sample passages. Follow the instructions. If you do that (barring illegible spelling or using a foreign language or awful syntax and grammar), you should do well enough on the writing section.

On the other hand, it's my perception that lots of folks in the healthcare system would benefit from learning how to write well. But that's really not your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't waste your time. I got a terrible writing score but a superb #, and on all of my med school interviews, I've only received compliments on my MCAT score. I don't believe anyone even mentioned the writing score, with one exception, and he was really just curious why it was so lopsided. In the end, it simply doesn't matter.