Taking Advanced classes over prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccesssu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a bunch of ap credit (bio, chem, physics b, eng, calc) and it covers all of my prereqs if med schools would accept them. but they don't, so i'm wondering what to do instead.
first question: do all schools accept more advanced classes in replacement? and will advanced courses prepare me properly for the mcat?

also, i read that (some) schools accept ap for eng and calc. is this a large majority of schools or just a few?

i am prob going to major in chem eng, but hoping to get a bsms in four years through this combined program thing (ik it's not needed for med school but it's something i just personally want to pursue), so i will need to brush off a lot of the 1st year courses to do this bsms. chem and ochem will obv be covered by the major, but what should I do for bio and physics, since upper level courses get more specific and prob won't cover the breadth of the mcat

thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

first question: do all schools accept more advanced classes in replacement? and will advanced courses prepare me properly for the mcat?

Most schools like to see college level prereqs taken.

Advanced courses:
1) Will prepare you better for MCAT
2) Are required for many schools (especially biochemistry)

also, i read that (some) schools accept ap for eng and calc. is this a large majority of schools or just a few?

Majority of schools WILL accept AP Calc (exceptions that I know of are UCLA and UCD). This majority acceptance was not always the case.

For further reading on this, I would recommend purchasing the newest MSAR (online edition). I don't personally have it but I read this year that it has statistics for AP acceptances for each school.

mmk, thanks for the reply. do schools not take ap eng (noticed you mentioned calc, but not eng)?
so if i have all the ap credits to jump to 2nd year courses, i should? and then just brush up 1st year material a few weeks in advance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt whichever engineering program you're going to is going to accept AP Physics for any of its degree requirements. If you're going into ChemE, you don't have to worry about premed physics requirements, because you WILL be forced to take some sort of physics or engineering physics.

I doubt whichever engineering program you're going to is going to accept AP Physics for any of its degree requirements. If you're going into ChemE, you don't have to worry about premed physics requirements, because you WILL be forced to take some sort of physics or engineering physics.

Not really true. I went to a well respected engineering school and placed out of physics, didn't have to take anything else

Most schools accept upper division courses in replacement for general classes. Most schools also accept AP Calc credit (English I'm not so sure on).

However, there are exceptions. There are a few schools who require you to take some general classes, which can be problematic for premeds who go to schools that force you to use your AP Credit to skip intro classes.