Taking advantage of death of a family member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheConfused

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to seem like I'm taking advantage of my grandfather and uncles death, but since they already died, I don't want them to die in vain and have them dying for nothing. So I plan to take full advantage of it in essays and interviews.

So anyways, my uncle and my grandfather died of cancer about 1.5 years apart, my uncle died of pancreatic cancer around winter 2012 and my grandfather died of colon cancer around summer 2013, I was only close to my grandfather it did sadden me that I wouldn't be able to talk to him again.

Anyways, coincidently, I got a research position with a professor that is studying the effects of transcription in specific locations of a gene on DNA damage leading to cancer. I've only been working with her for 6 months but I've learned so much and it made me think of cancer in a more scientific way and less "you have bad luck you die" basis

I am also getting an opportunity to volunteer in a clinic that a mix of two things, 1) cancer awareness and 2) free screenings, which is freaking awesome since I can tell the interviewer that I chose this clinic because of my relatives' deaths and I wanted to learn more about cancer and how I can help the local community with whatever problems and questions that they may have.

I can also sign up for an oncology department internship at my university's extension hospital since a lot of spots are open right now.

How much would all this help my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is one of the hidden secrets of admissions, exploit your family (especially deaths) as much as possible. If you haven't had a family member die, just kill them and make it look like cancer. That way you will always have something to write about. You may even get some inheritance to help with your application costs.

Reactions: 60 users
Just+leave+this+thread+_ed83710217b32a7bfba125fb62bb6037.jpg

Reactions: 20 users
So that's how @NotASerialKiller does it... all makes sense now

It is one of the hidden secrets of admissions, exploit your family (especially deaths) as much as possible. If you haven't had a family member die, just kill them and make it look like cancer. That way you will always have something to write about. You may even get some inheritance to help with your application costs.

Reactions: 7 users
You know none of them died to help your med school application?? So they didn't "die in vain" if you don't talk about it...

Reactions: 9 users

Choked on my fictitious popcorn.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WOW. Your elderly grandparent died of cancer? How unique! You're a shoo-in!

Reactions: 17 users
:troll:

I don't want to seem like I'm taking advantage of my grandfather and uncles death, but since they already died, I don't want them to die in vain and have them dying for nothing. So I plan to take full advantage of it in essays and interviews.

So anyways, my uncle and my grandfather died of cancer about 1.5 years apart, my uncle died of pancreatic cancer around winter 2012 and my grandfather died of colon cancer around summer 2013, I was only close to my grandfather it did sadden me that I wouldn't be able to talk to him again.

Anyways, coincidently, I got a research position with a professor that is studying the effects of transcription in specific locations of a gene on DNA damage leading to cancer. I've only been working with her for 6 months but I've learned so much and it made me think of cancer in a more scientific way and less "you have bad luck you die" basis

I am also getting an opportunity to volunteer in a clinic that a mix of two things, 1) cancer awareness and 2) free screenings, which is freaking awesome since I can tell the interviewer that I chose this clinic because of my relatives' deaths and I wanted to learn more about cancer and how I can help the local community with whatever problems and questions that they may have.

I can also sign up for an oncology department internship at my university's extension hospital since a lot of spots are open right now.

I'm really not trying to be harsh, but I'm not understanding why you writing about them would be the only reason they did not die in vain? Seems "odd" to say the least. I'd hate to think you believe the lives they led, the impact they had on those around them or even the legacies they may have left behind for friends and family contribute nothing, yet using them to illicit some emotion to your PS would be the only worth to their life and death.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm really not trying to be harsh, but I'm not understanding why you writing about them would be the only reason they did not die in vain? Seems "odd" to say the least. If hate to think you believe the lives they led, the impact they had on those around them or even they legacies they may have left behind for friends and family contribute nothing, yet using them to illicit some emotion to your PS would be the only worth to their life and death.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Because to a sociopath, the only things that matter are the things that affect themselves.

Really though
:troll:

Reactions: 4 users
You have phrased it poorly but it is not a bad idea.

Family members die of cancer. -->
This sparks your curiosity about cancer from a scientific perspective. You land a job in a research lab and learn more about the biological basis of the disease.
You want to help others and your family's experience with cancer leads you to volunteer in a setting where you can help people with cancer or at risk of developing cancer
You are interested in how cancer is treated so you sign up for an internship in an oncology department.

Frankly, it is a good foundation for an application.

Reactions: 10 users
What the !@#$%? I'm not trolling! I am asking a legit question so I can mold my application into something more purposeful

I second LizzyM on this one. Based on your post here, you sound like someone an admission committee wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, however you could easily spin this story to show a logical progression of ideas in explaining "why medicine".

What the !@#$%? I'm not trolling! I am asking a legit question so I can mold my application into something more purposeful
You also asked if it was OK to tell your interviewer that you want to become a doctor for the money and prestige.

Post history+phrasing, totally seems legit.

Anyway, you do you bro. It sounds like you've got the right idea as to how to structure your app and interview, so just go for it! I'm sure that adcoms will love you! And with that...
127804a52a9bf32ab7ad5508ede8421b.gif

Reactions: 6 users
Just step away from the computer already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Is this Streampaw v3.6?

X-files%20-%20I%20Want%20to%20Believe%20poster%5B1%5D.png

Reactions: 3 users
I know this is a troll thread, but my father passed away last summer from a heart attack. He was a smoker for 50 years, and he did not take care of his health. If I get the chance to interview, I'll certainly bring it up and speak about the frustrations of having a parent who suffers from addiction, the difficulty of losing a parent prematurely, how it's changed my view on death, and the challenge of maintaining my responsibilities (worked fulled time, 11 credits at school) while grieving. It won't be a highlight of my application, though.

Sorry to hear that and you have every right to bring it up in an interview regarding your frustrations, but this is not a troll thread, I am just speaking my mind so I can get some advice on how to handle my interview so I get accepted.

If it was something that truly affected your day to day life in terms of taking care of them, write about it if you want.

if your gonna lie about the impact i think its pretty easy to see through the BS

So by not mentioning them in a medical school interview, they died in vain? Not like your grandfather made your existence possible or anything.
Jesus , kid, I think you should read what you wrote back to yourself before posting anything.

There's nothing wrong including how the death of a family member or friend helped drive you in the direction of becoming a physician (interactions with physicians, driving you to provide health service, etc) , I mean I've lost all four of my grandparents and you better believe that has played a role. The way you say it though ... Yeesh.

Last edited:
If you aren't trolling, then I am worried that there are people out there like you for whom their relatives amount to nothing more than a means to improve their medical school application.

Not Streampaw, but definitely related to Streampaw.
Paw was before my time , but I did read her blog or whatever she has that someone posted a link to on here recently .....

Man, back when trolling used to mean something. You told her the only way she would get in as a cadaver ?
latest

Sad truth is sometimes psychopaths like him can still have a small chance to get into med school and destroy their patients......

Too bad we can't abuse and use everyone's death... that way a serial killer's got a lot to write about for med interviews......

Legit wondering how *****ic the OP is on a scale of very to lol???

Sorry OP, your relative's death is worthless unless they were treated at target school's affiliate hospital. Even then, you'd better send a LoI early on.

As someone who's reasons for applying were actually motivated by the death of a loved one this really frustrates me.

4/10 for the avatar though

Reactions: 2 users
I think you should be brutally honest and write the real reasons why you want to go into medicine: money, respect, etc.
I know adcoms value honesty very highly!!

Just kill them and sprinkle some cancer on the body.

Its really funny how everyone thinks I'm trolling but I swear I'm just speaking my mind. Yes my reasons for going to med school is mainly to be a doctor and not s much to help other people. I'm asking this because there is a clinical program around my area that does both cancer awareness presentations and free screenings and advising for those who are unfortunately poor or ignorant about cancer. I thought this would help my application because it could seem like I am doing all of this because of my relative's deaths.

I previously thought the point of SDN was to get people into medical school and I haven't gotten a serious reply yet. You guys have to stop letting your emotions get in the way and answer the OP directly. That is how a respectful, professional forum works and you guys are all a disgrace, calling me a troll and stuff.

Its really funny how everyone thinks I'm trolling but I swear I'm just speaking my mind. Yes my reasons for going to med school is mainly to be a doctor and not s much to help other people. I'm asking this because there is a clinical program around my area that does both cancer awareness presentations and free screenings and advising for those who are unfortunately poor or ignorant about cancer. I thought this would help my application because it could seem like I am doing all of this because of my relative's deaths.

I previously thought the point of SDN was to get people into medical school and I haven't gotten a serious reply yet. You guys have to stop letting your emotions get in the way and answer the OP directly. That is how a respectful, professional forum works and you guys are all a disgrace, calling me a troll and stuff.

Let me start off by saying that I don't think you're trolling.

I do think it is troubling that you don't see the error in how you are phrasing your questions and your propositions. Yes, it is common for a loved one's death to serve as a catalyst for someone's interest in medicine. But it's rather disrespectful of the deceased and of people who were so moved by a loved one's passing for you to "use" their death to your "advantage." You need to be genuine. If you were genuine, you wouldn't have to ask a forum's opinion about doing free cancer screenings and advising. If you were actually moved by your relatives' deaths towards medicine, you would just do those things out of an internal desire to do them.

You need to take a step back, figure out what your motivations ACTUALLY are, grow and mature some more (you have plenty of time), and revisit this.

"Gaming" the system or pretending to be someone you're not or pretending to have motivations that you don't actually have will come back to hurt you in the end. Or you'll get through by pretending to be someone that admissions committees want you to be, but you'll end up lying to everyone including yourself.

To be honest, I don't think you are a troll. I just think you are naive and a poor medical school applicant.

In short to paraphrase @Ismet above me, I just think you are an idiot.

Reactions: 12 users
To be honest, I don't think you are a troll. I just think you are naive and a poor medical school applicant.

Ouch. And that's pretty much worse than being a troll because there are actually genuine and serious beliefs involved.

That is how a respectful, professional forum works and you guys are all a disgrace, calling me a troll and stuff.

I think you should follow your own advice and learn from it.

tumblr_o5ai6ncWo41qerv4oo2_500.gif

Coming from the kid that said his families deaths are in vain if not mentioned in your medical school interview.

You would have gotten serious replies if you had taken a much less .... Jerk approach to your OP.

Reactions: 2 users
My learned colleague almost made me spit my tea out all over my keyboard!

And to OP: people come to this forum for realistic advice, not hugs and kisses.

And SDNers tend not to suffer fools lightly.

EDIT: I amend my post to add that we don't care for lying sacks of ****.

Last edited: