Taking all pre-reqs at CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted303591

I have to take all of my remaining pre-reqs at the community college because I am now being charged out of state tuition because I was forced to take medical withdrawal three times.

Will this be looked down upon, even though my major at the University is challenging (electrical engineering)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the general consensus is that grades for pre-reqs at CC's are not held in high regard.

Yes, the general consensus is that grades for pre-reqs at CC's are not held in high regard.

I am already a junior and I plan on doing research also.

I don't understand why it is such a big deal to take courses at a University versus a CC.

I mean, I have passed multiple courses with 50-60% fail rates in engineering.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do well on your MCAT and explain the situation in your application, it should be fine. Don't let it bother you too much if you can't change anything.

I have to take all of my remaining pre-reqs at the community college because I am now being charged out of state tuition because I was forced to take medical withdrawal three times.

Will this be looked down upon, even though my major at the University is challenging (electrical engineering)?

Honestly, if it is your only choice then you gotta do what you gotta do. When you transfer to a 4 year university make sure that your grades remain the same if not higher at that university to show that your grades from CC aren't a fluke.

CC pre-req's don't look amazing but it's not going to kill you either. Make sure that you demonstrate excellence in all other parts of your application, do well in your classes and do well on the mcat and you should be fine.

In addition, electrical engineering is widely known as a difficult area of study. Who knows.. maybe the difficulty of your major will cancel out the fact that you went to CC.

If you are trying to go to Harvard... then that's another story.

I did all of them at a CC, mainly because I had no money. I think if you do well on your MCAT, as well as do good in your university courses (and have a decent reason for being at the CC to begin with) you should be alright (I haven't applied yet though).

I was about to say that you should hold off on pre reqs if you're a freshman, because the MCAT is changing anyways. However, since you're a junior, it's probably all right.

I was about to say that you should hold off on pre reqs if you're a freshman, because the MCAT is changing anyways. However, since you're a junior, it's probably all right.

Just out of curiosity, the new mcat could change the pre-req's that you need? :eek:

Just out of curiosity, the new mcat could change the pre-req's that you need? :eek:

Well, pretty much so. The science ones will stay the same, Psych and Socio (among other things) will be added.

I more so meant that if OP is a freshman, then there's no need to get the pre reqs done in 2 years (he/she could probably save a few courses for the 4-year school).

Don't know how ADCOM view university students who take prereq at CC but if you are a transfer student you don't have to worry about that too much. If you are good enough to get in that is.

I've done all my pre-req's at a CC... but i'm a Chemistry major, so I will be taking upper division chem classes at the university as well as biochem...

I was worried about CC classes being looked down upon, so I e-mailed a bunch of school's admissions offices... they pretty much all said CC classes are fine, except Boston and Penn... SDN likes to scare ppl saying CC is bad...

I was offered full tuition at the CC right by my house... so I'm not gonna turn that down to pay 8,000 to go out to the university for the same classes...

I think if you take CC classes, do well, and then do well in upper division sciences at the university after, it won't even be a factor. Not to mention the MCAT is the great equalizer.

I'm going to e-mail every school before applying to make sure they are okay with my CC credits before I pay for an application. I won't be applying to Boston or Penn :D

I don't think it's a scare tactic to say CC courses are looked down upon. They are, in general. Everyone knows they're easier. I took several courses at my local CC (not pre-reqs), and it was noted in one interview so far.

I don't think it's a scare tactic to say CC courses are looked down upon. They are, in general. Everyone knows they're easier. I took several courses at my local CC (not pre-reqs), and it was noted in one interview so far.
This is crap.

Members don't see this ad :)

You assume they are looked down upon, although many admissions offices will tell you they are just fine.

Every school is different. Some CC's can be harder than 4-years. All depends on grading styles, professors, etc. MCAT is equalizer.

4.0 with all pre-req's CC but 3.0 at University and 27 MCAT may raise some concerns.

:laugh: thanks for the laugh.

What if I want to apply to some place like Mayo?

Will it be looked down upon?

The only laboratory in the United States that tests for my rare disease is the Mayo Clinic laboratories. I actually found the name of the disease I have (by googling symptoms-I did this for years) about a year ago when I was in the ER.

It scared me, and I found out I have it through testing. However, I get better every day and I am responding to treatment.

I am very interested in Mayo.

Is your medical condition well-controlled? Not trying to be a downer, but if you took that many medical withdrawals during UG, how do you expect to complete medical school and residency?

Is your medical condition well-controlled? Not trying to be a downer, but if you took that many medical withdrawals during UG, how do you expect to complete medical school and residency?

It is a rare autoimmune disease, that there are only case reports of. Basically it is an autoimmune autonomic neuropathy that is potentially reversible.

I am receiving IgG and I have come a long ways over the past year. I have not ended up in the hospital since July and my recovery has been going great.

I would say it is well controlled. I am off of all of my medications for low blood pressure, etc.

The reason, in my opinion, why I had to take so many medical withdrawals was because this disease was undiagnosed. It was treated as autonomic neuropathy before, and not as an autoimmune disease. The treatment before the diagnosis of the autoimmune disease was only symptom management.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my honest opinion, if you get straight As in CC classes, the adcom will almost undoubtedly think that you could potentially be very intelligent, just not well financed. So take the coursework as one, albeit major - so get those As if you can, factor, that is to be augmented by the other standard qualifications to med school, like clinical experience, your personal statement and life experiences, your hobbies, and the quality of your letters of recommendation. Among other things. You can also try to make the most out of your summers, doing research, and reading books related to medicine. And don't forget to do the things you enjoy, too!

I see. That experience as a frustrated patient certainly will be a very useful asset once you get started. I would just make sure you are good to go physically and mentally before you embark on med school. Good luck.

It is a rare autoimmune disease, that there are only case reports of. Basically it is an autoimmune autonomic neuropathy that is potentially reversible.

I am receiving IgG and I have come a long ways over the past year. I have not ended up in the hospital since July and my recovery has been going great.

I would say it is well controlled. I am off of all of my medications for low blood pressure, etc.

The reason, in my opinion, why I had to take so many medical withdrawals was because this disease was undiagnosed. It was treated as autonomic neuropathy before, and not as an autoimmune disease. The treatment before the diagnosis of the autoimmune disease was only symptom management.

Hey, at least you're making progress in discovering the nature of your affliction! I actually have naturally low blood pressure, around 60/100, but I suppose it's marginally within the accepted range. My skin is very sensitive too... everytime I crumple paper, my palms get little red itchy spots. Ah well, such is God's design.

There are hundred of ways for one to be rejected by Mayo. Having CC prereq is the least of your concerns. If you are perfect in every way for Mayo do you think they would reject you because you took CC prereq?

What if I want to apply to some place like Mayo?

Will it be looked down upon?

The only laboratory in the United States that tests for my rare disease is the Mayo Clinic laboratories. I actually found the name of the disease I have (by googling symptoms-I did this for years) about a year ago when I was in the ER.

It scared me, and I found out I have it through testing. However, I get better every day and I am responding to treatment.

I am very interested in Mayo.

I suppose ignorance is bliss if you want to keep thinking CC courses are universally regarded as equivalent to university courses.

I took organic chemistry at my local CC and it didn't even transfer as gen chem 1 at my university. THAT is the laugh, and THAT is why a good amount of eyebrows will be raised over someone completing all of their pre-reqs there.

That's not to say that having a stellar application or high MCAT won't alleviate concerns, but that's a completely separate matter.

I suppose ignorance is bliss if you want to keep thinking CC courses are universally regarded as equivalent to university courses.

I took organic chemistry at my local CC and it didn't even transfer as gen chem 1 at my university. THAT is the laugh, and THAT is why a good amount of eyebrows will be raised over someone completing all of their pre-reqs there.

That's not to say that having a stellar application or high MCAT won't alleviate concerns, but that's a completely separate matter.

It depends on your state, I know of several states that have a guaranteed transfer on most of their classes, but you must check before signing up.

I did both physics classes at CC, it hasn't seemed to be a problem yet but I guess we will see how I fare at the end of the admission cycle

The problem seems to be your particular CC. The ones in my area are lateral transfers to the university, where you can take even 400-level science classes.

None of my CC classes were a problem at interviews. In fact, they were recommended to me, as a non-trad, by my state med school.

That's a problem between your CC and the University.

I have taken a&p / bio 1&2 / microbiology / physics 1&2 at my local community college while attending a local university. I also plan on taking ochem 1&2 summer 2013. I will let you know how it goes for me :)

Who said anything about CC classes being universally regarded as equivalent? This is one common trash argument I have seen so often from people on SDN. CC classes are not universally equivalent but taking the application as a whole, it is unlikely to be the reason for you to be rejected at a certain school assuming you are good enough to get in that school otherwise.

Ignorance is bliss? Thanks for a another laugh. I am a transfer student who did ALL prereq at CC as did 6 of my other friends from the same CC. We all got in. Sure we are not all Havard material but one of us did make it there; the rest, USC, UC Davis, Tufts, Loma Linda.

As for your Ochem class didn't transfer, among other reasons it could be that your Ochem grade is not good enough for them to believe you are ready for university Gchem :laugh: you never know u know?

Thanks for the advice and information from everyone.

It can be agreed that community college and University courses, such as pre-reqs, are not equivalent.

There is nothing I can do about my situation. I could not have prevented my situation from happening, because my disease is rare.

I am going to have to make good choices in general to make sure that I am not scrutinized in general for my academic record, which has lots of Ws due to my medical withdrawals. My situation is exceptional, but some positives will arise out of it.

I guess it comes down to this... you'll either take the classes at a CC and apply for med school, or not take the classes and not be able to apply. take the classes, get As, get a great MCAT score, do some good volunteer and ECs... move on. You'll be ok.

I am going to sign up for pre-reqs soon. I am very excited to be enrolling in classes! :D

I get to spend most of the day at the hospital tomorrow to receive treatment for my autoimmune disease.

I am grateful for this treatment and I am very fortunate for my health to be improving.

Anyways, I can chose whether to stress about it or not. I am not going to stress about this anymore.

Since tomorrow is going to be a long day, I am going to bed.

Goodnight everyone! :sleep: