Taking an interview portfolio to residency interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChessMaster3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the general consensus on here about portfolios for residency interviews? There's a bunch of threads about this in pre-med/pre-dent/pharmacy, but was interested in hearing what people usually do for medical residencies. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What's the general consensus on here about portfolios for residency interviews? There's a bunch of threads about this in pre-med/pre-dent/pharmacy, but was interested in hearing what people usually do for medical residencies. Thanks!
I brought a padfolio with 8x11 copies of my poster (from my research project), a tool I made as part of a project looking at student feedback, and a copy of my CV. There's a few interviews where they specifically asked about the tool (because it was mentioned under one of my activities) so I had handed that out, but otherwise it was fairly useless.

I brought a padfolio with 8x11 copies of my poster (from my research project), a tool I made as part of a project looking at student feedback, and a copy of my CV. There's a few interviews where they specifically asked about the tool (because it was mentioned under one of my activities) so I had handed that out, but otherwise it was fairly useless.

Thanks, that was helpful. Did you feel having that copy of the tool that you could hand out was perceived as helpful by the interviewers? Didn't come across as over-prepared/gunnerish? (I'm not saying it is by any means, just trying to feel out how this all works)

Thanks, that was helpful. Did you feel having that copy of the tool that you could hand out was perceived as helpful by the interviewers? Didn't come across as over-prepared/gunnerish? (I'm not saying it is by any means, just trying to feel out how this all works)
I don't think it made all that much of a difference one way or another. Think of yourself on the other side of things, would you really care?

Most friends of mine with published papers also brought copies of those, but I don't know if any of them bothered handing it out.

I don't think it made all that much of a difference one way or another. Think of yourself on the other side of things, would you really care?

Most friends of mine with published papers also brought copies of those, but I don't know if any of them bothered handing it out.
No i definitely wouldn't care, but then again, why does everyone do it?