Taking *another* gap year...? What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zumab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am already two years behind schedule because I graduated last year from undergrad and I am planning on applying this year. There are a couple of issues.
Ive been dealing with a chronic health issue which has affected my ability to focus, study for the MCAT etc (which Im not feeling very ready for-and hoping to take in May)
Second thing is that I've had everything lined up for my school's committee letter but they require one from a clinical experience and my volunteer coordinator just said she doesn't do those sort of recommendations (because she hasnt observed me personally)... To be honest, my volunteering in the hospital hasn't been that substantial and so I doubt I could get something from the medical staff there.

So it's really two things... clinical experience and MCAT readiness.
But if I delay, then it would be a total of three years of being behind schedule.

Ive been doing research thus far and that's been going pretty well.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Get what you need to get done, and apply to med school when you're ready. You have plenty of time to get ready for the MCAT and find someone to write you a letter in the next few months. Realize that you will probably look on your gap years very fondly once you're in your medical training, so don't forget to take the time to enjoy yourself along the way.

Reactions: 3 users
Echoing @whatever5 - med school ain't going anywhere. I was 4 yrs out of UG by the time I started so no need to fret.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it right the first time. It will be a lot easier for you if you take the time to get everything lined up so you only have to apply once rather than rushing to get everything in and not doing a great job on it (e.g. MCAT). Having to reapply is significantly worse than just taking an extra year to make sure you're ready.

I took something like 15 gap years.

It would have been only 14, but I realized that it was foolish to apply before I had everything in good order. (Obviously, I hadn't spent the first 14 totally focused and getting ready to apply.) Especially getting such a late start, there was a great temptation to rush in full speed, so as not to waste any more time.

But you know what really wastes a year? Having to reapply.

Make your first application your best application. If that only costs you one more year, and saves you a second cycle, then you come out far ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
6 years out of undergrad when I applied. Don't stress out about time! Given how competitive admissions is, it's not a waste of time to create the best application you can the first time around. You don't want to have to retake the MCAT (considering that many schools average scores) and if your clinical experience isn't substantial enough to get a decent LOR, it's probably not substantial enough to show medical schools that you know what you're getting yourself into.

Reactions: 1 users
Drop the idea that life doesn't begin until med school! I am enjoying the hell out of my first gap year and taking a second one. At first I was devastated, but once I got the idea out of my head that these years were just passing time until med school, everything got better. I'm working in an amazing lab, volunteering, spending time with friends and family, how is this behind "schedule"??