Taking another year for couples match? MS degree worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehwatsupdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a second year at a "low tier" US MD school. Looking to apply most likely into IM but not entirely sure yet. I am from the northeast and my goal is to match into the Massachusetts area.

I have always had an interest in philosophy and writing and recently found out my school offers an MS in bioethics (would take a year for this in between 3rd and 4th year) and also offers a "concentration" or "distinction" in bioethics which can be done within the standard four years. If I did either of these programs, I would complete a required bioethics research paper/project by graduation. My goal is to incorporate bioethics into my clinical career--whether that be serving on an ethics committee, bioethics consulting, and/or writing research papers on it. In general, I see myself more in an academic + clinical role than solely in private practice, but we'll see.

My question for you guys is--should I do the concentration or the MS degree? Here is my current pro/con list:

MS degree pros:
1. more credibility in the field for when I want to incorporate it later. Also something unique to discuss in interviews
2. Get at least two bioethics research projects/papers out of it
3. Get to take a 5th year so that I can couples match with my girlfriend who is a year below me. She is at a DO school and looking to match pediatrics.
cons:
1. Taking a 5th year...delaying my career. cost of the degree
2. residency programs might view this as a "fluff" degree and think I just took a vacation year? ****would like some insight here especially

Concentration pros:

1. An interview talk point
2. get to finish med school in the standard time
3. Still get a research project/paper out of it
cons:
1. Not enough credibility for incorporating this into my career later?
2. Can't couples match. In this case, she is willing to apply into pediatrics and IM in whatever city I am in to help ensure she matches near me (she is very interested in both fields, just prefers peds)

As an aside, I already have a few clinical research publications and plan to add one or two more if I have the time. These would be in addition to whatever bioethics project I complete by the time I apply. To make the MS in bioethics seem less like a "vacation year" to residency programs, I could try to incorporate some more clinical research on the side during that year.

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It comes down to how important it is to you for that possible extra paper and couples matching. I think with your interest in ethics in your career, you can pursue the extra degree later, or just continue your research in residency/beyond. As someone who agonized over taking an extra year, you need to be very critical to your reasons. That's a lot of time

IMHO, this would be a year that is not very beneficial long term to you. You dont need an MS to "gain credibility" in philosophy.
You could possible increase the liklihood of your gf matching into your hospital if you are a JR resident and people like/trust you.
you will end up forgoing one year of attending salary.

Now for your pros
-credibility is not gain through an MS.
- What value is the two additional papers going to bring to you ?
- Couples matching is not garunteed especially when one is DO and the other MD. You could end up matching seperately anyway wasting with not a whole lot to show for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I am a second year at a "low tier" US MD school. Looking to apply most likely into IM but not entirely sure yet. I am from the northeast and my goal is to match into the Massachusetts area.

I have always had an interest in philosophy and writing and recently found out my school offers an MS in bioethics (would take a year for this in between 3rd and 4th year) and also offers a "concentration" or "distinction" in bioethics which can be done within the standard four years. If I did either of these programs, I would complete a required bioethics research paper/project by graduation. My goal is to incorporate bioethics into my clinical career--whether that be serving on an ethics committee, bioethics consulting, and/or writing research papers on it. In general, I see myself more in an academic + clinical role than solely in private practice, but we'll see.

My question for you guys is--should I do the concentration or the MS degree? Here is my current pro/con list:

MS degree pros:
1. more credibility in the field for when I want to incorporate it later. Also something unique to discuss in interviews
2. Get at least two bioethics research projects/papers out of it
3. Get to take a 5th year so that I can couples match with my girlfriend who is a year below me. She is at a DO school and looking to match pediatrics.
cons:
1. Taking a 5th year...delaying my career. cost of the degree
2. residency programs might view this as a "fluff" degree and think I just took a vacation year? ****would like some insight here especially

Concentration pros:

1. An interview talk point
2. get to finish med school in the standard time
3. Still get a research project/paper out of it
cons:
1. Not enough credibility for incorporating this into my career later?
2. Can't couples match. In this case, she is willing to apply into pediatrics and IM in whatever city I am in to help ensure she matches near me (she is very interested in both fields, just prefers peds)

As an aside, I already have a few clinical research publications and plan to add one or two more if I have the time. These would be in addition to whatever bioethics project I complete by the time I apply. To make the MS in bioethics seem less like a "vacation year" to residency programs, I could try to incorporate some more clinical research on the side during that year.

Thank you all in advance!

You should absolutely take this opportunity because it allows you to couples match with your partner. I don't think the MS will help or hurt either way, but it is the perfect excuse to delay a year so that you can match with your girlfriend. Rest assured that if you apply very broadly and flexibly, you and her will almost certainly match together somewhere.

Yes, you lose a year of attending salary, but if you love this girl that is nothing to be able to spend 3 years together during residency. If you weren't couples matching I would say not to do it, but because you are this is a perfect opportunity that you should definitely take. No residency program would hold this against you in any way.

EDIT: All this advice hinges on this being a stable and well developed relationship. If you have been dating for a couple months and long distance, do not go out of your way to couples match. If you see yourself marrying this girl, do everything you can to couples match.

thanks for the advice so far!

Would anyone's advice change if I did the concentration in bioethics, but instead of an MS, I did a research year?

Also, If I held to the majority advice and did not couple's match or do the MS-- how likely is it that my gf (a DO) could match where I am a year later (hopefully a big city in the NE, such as Boston) if she applied to both IM and pediatrics? I know it is tough to say without a step score.

Well if you do IM and she does pediatrics, you'll end with a completely different schedules and rotations even at the same institution. It may be easier if you match somewhere first so when it's time for her to apply to residency, she can have a very strong geographic tie to where you are and can start doing some auditions and rotations in that city as well in her 4th year to maximize chances.