Taking Aug MCAT and applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solid snake

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody taking the Aug MCAT and applying right after they get their scores? I know that it would late into the application process, but would it be worth applying that late? What if, for ex., I scored a 30 with an average GPA, should I bother applying or am I already out of the game since it's late?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi solidsnake,
Majority of the people will tell you to apply before the august mcat, just because it makes such a difference in getting early interviews, and if you apply after aug. mcat, then u will get interviews that will start in nov. or december. Why don't you do apply to the schools that you are absolutely interested in? And then, after the august mcat, you can add some more schools if you want to..that way it doesn't get too expensive.

I hope this helps. I am taking august mcat, but will be applying early in may/june.

Retaking and reapplying here
Apply early, that way, most schls dont need mcat b4 sending out secondaries,
If you do well, by 2nd-3rd week of Oct, schls get ur scores, and then they can evaluate, and possibly u'll have interviews by Nov.
Not bad, as long as u do well on the mCAT....Goodluck

I took the April 2001 MCAT and received a reasonable score (except for 1 section) and applied very early and got 1 interview and it was in December so applying early didn't help me very much that time. I retook the test last August and had everything turned in by Sept. so all they were waiting for were my MCAT scores. I got 1 interview in Nov., 2 in December, 3 in January, and 1 more after that. I turned down my last 3 interviews because I had already been accepted to my top choice.

The moral of the story is that you have a better chance of acceptance by taking the Aug. MCAT and scoring high than taking the APril MCAT and scoring low. If you are not prepared and are not getting in the 30's on your last couple of diagnostic tests then it might be good to wait until Aug. You have to be the judge, you may be a little behind by taking the Aug. MCAT but make sure you have everything in so all they need are your MCAT scores.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently living the scenario that aquaboy has described. I am scoring mid 20s on my practice test and feel/know that I can improve my score by Aug. My question is, approximately when do we get our scores back after we take the test in aug?

Originally posted by AMMD
I am currently living the scenario that aquaboy has described. I am scoring mid 20s on my practice test and feel/know that I can improve my score by Aug. My question is, approximately when do we get our scores back after we take the test in aug?

The scores from Aug. MCAT are released during the first to second week of October. Just about 60 days after you take the MCAT.

I am taking the MCAT next Saturday, even though I think the best I can get will be a 30, most likely a 26,27 easily. So I figure I may have to retake the MCAT in August and I am prepared to do so if I do not get at least a 27, I also plan on applying in June. So my question is how do I notify schools or what do I do exactly if I rock the MCAT in August? They will have my April Scores, will they not even look at my August scores if I do retake the MCAT? BTW the MCAT is the only item on my application which can be iffy. How poorly is a 9,9,9 looked upon?

no they won't look at ur april score until they get ur august scores.

i would say try your best on the april if you feel you can nail 26 or higher. If you want TOP med schools, retake in august and do much better 30+. That way the schools will see improvement.

Applying late sux, but it's not the end of the world. As long as you show improvement on the MCAT and the rest of your application is good, then you should be fine.

Good luck!