This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspremed2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I go to a small private school in Pittsburgh and unfortunately they only offer Biochem 1 in the Fall and Biochem 2 in the Spring. Since I have very little background in Biochem I would like to take a Biochem class before taking the MCAT. Do you guys think this is a good idea, or should I just wait until next Fall to take Biochemistry 1? If I do that, I will not be able to graduate this Spring, which is kind of okay with me. However, I would like to take the MCAT this upcoming summer to get it over with and I do not trust myself self teaching it.

I must admit that Chemistry was never a favorite subject of mine. I completed Ochem 1 and Ochem 2, but I will definitely need to go some kind of refresher before taking Biochem 1 or 2.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Biochem is heavily represented on the MCAT. I wouldn't take it without having the course under my belt.

Reactions: 1 user
Biochem is heavily represented on the MCAT. I wouldn't take it without having the course under my belt.
Understood. But do you think Biochem 2 will be as helpful as Biochem 1? My only option at this point is to take Biochem 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Understood. But do you think Biochem 2 will be as helpful as Biochem 1? My only option at this point is to take Biochem 2.
Would you take ochem 2 before ochem 1? Pretty sure there are foundational things you'll need to know from the first course. You might risk your GPA for nothing.

I'm not sure what each class covers at your school to say.

I go to a big state school and they only offer Biochem 1 in the fall as well, so I think that is pretty standard. They do however, also offer elementary biochem, which is a "lighter" combination of Biochem 1 and 2. Perhaps your school or some local CC offers the same?

I go to a big state school and they only offer Biochem 1 in the fall as well, so I think that is pretty standard. They do however, also offer elementary biochem, which is a "lighter" combination of Biochem 1 and 2. Perhaps your school or some local CC offers the same?
Nope.

Would you take ochem 2 before ochem 1? Pretty sure there are foundational things you'll need to know from the first course. You might risk your GPA for nothing.
I wouldn't prefer to. However, this case calls for an executive decision if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't prefer to. However, this case calls for an executive decision if you know what I mean.
I'd find a biochem 1 class elsewhere. It's not going to hurt your admission chances to have one class at another institution, even if it's a CC.

Have a solid look at the curriculum for each class. At my school, biochem I was an in-depth look at all major biomolecules and their functionality. Biochem II was more metabolic pathway driven. For me, biochem I taught more high-yield MCAT material and I could have easily done without biochem II for the MCAT. If your biochem II class doesn't cover amino acids and their interactions to form proteins along with inhibition, Michaelis-Menten, DNA/RNA, lipids, and carbohydrates (this is just a quick list off the top of my head - cross-check the course objectives with current high-yield MCAT topics) then I would recommend waiting or finding another class.

see if you can get the biochem II syllabus and post it here or just compare it to the biochem materials outlined for the MCAT by the AAMC.

As mentioned by @Jasmine2022, my undergraduate biochemistry was taught in a similar fashion - I covered structure and function and II covered metabolism. The MCAT seemed to have much more from biochemistry I than II. Knowing your AA's inside and out is extremely high yield for the MCAT and AA's were covered almost exclusively in biochemistry I.