Taking Biochemistry and studying for the MCAT concurrently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RTC19

I wasn't able to get a seat in Organic I this fall (2019). I am planning to apply in the summer of 2021, but won't be able to take Biochem until spring of 2021 because Organic II is a prereq for Biochemistry at my school, so I will go Organic I in Spring of 2020 ---> Organic II in Fall of 2020 ----> Biochemistry and study for/take the MCAT in Spring of 2021---> Apply in June of '21.

Thus, I will be studying for the MCAT and taking Biochemistry concurrently. I am not educated enough on this to know if this is a poor choice, so that's where ya'll come in!

I suppose another option would be a July 2021 MCAT so Biochem would be done with by the time I start studying for the MCAT, but I would like to avoid that if possible because May-July just doesn't seem like enough time to study for the MCAT to me, even if studying for it 40 hours a week.

Perhaps there is a way to arrange my MCAT-specific Biochemistry review as to align with my for-credit course? What do you think about that idea?

Please share your thoughts!

Thank you all in advance!

- RTC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the mcat before I took biochem. It would have been nice to have taken biochem right before the mcat. As long as you don’t slack on the mcat prep, taking biochem right before the mcat will be nice actually. IMO of course.

Reactions: 1 user
I took Biochem and studied for the MCAT at the same time. Worked out well. It's just one less thing you have to review for during MCAT prep.

If you're taking 12 credits hypothetically, wouldn't it be nice if 3-4 of those already counted towards MCAT prep? Also, biochem is super useful for the MCAT, don't take it before the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Biochem and studied for the MCAT at the same time. Worked out well. It's just one less thing you have to review for during MCAT prep.

If you're taking 12 credits hypothetically, wouldn't it be nice if 3-4 of those already counted towards MCAT prep? Also, biochem is super useful for the MCAT, don't take it before the class.

Thank you so much for your help and reassurance. :)

Congratulations on your acceptance. I am so proud. :)

I took the mcat before I took biochem. It would have been nice to have taken biochem right before the mcat. As long as you don’t slack on the mcat prep, taking biochem right before the mcat will be nice actually. IMO of course.

Thank you so much! :)

I hope med school is treating you well thus far.