mbk21

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Guys,

Since High School, I always thought that I was great at math since I tutored so many children. However, last summer, before starting college, I got a C in Calculus I (it was really tough and she did not curve the class). Well this quarter, I'm taking Calculus II, and I didn't do so great on my first Midterm. I am contemplating just dropping the class, or just taking it pass/not pass. Some medical schools don't require it and others would like it. But since this is considered in your BCPM GPA would AMCAS consider a "pass" as a grade of C? I've heard people say that they do and some people say that they don't. Anyone know for sure? This is still single variable calculus.

Thanks in advance.

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hi Guys,

Since High School, I always thought that I was great at math since I tutored so many children. However, last summer, before starting college, I got a C in Calculus I (it was really tough and she did not curve the class). Well this quarter, I'm taking Calculus II, and I didn't do so great on my first Midterm. I am contemplating just dropping the class, or just taking it pass/not pass. Some medical schools don't require it and others would like it. But since this is considered in your BCPM GPA would AMCAS consider a "pass" as a grade of C? I've heard people say that they do and some people say that they don't. Anyone know for sure? This is still single variable calculus.

Thanks in advance.
Why are you taking calc? What is your major? I would change majors...seriously...

"C" is a pass and adequate, but it is not good and a single C can crush your BCPM GPA...and it is not going to do any good for your overall GPA, either...very few med schools require calculus - a handful, joints like Harvard and Hopkins and WUSTL - and to be blunt about it, if you are making Cs in calc, you are not going to be headed to any of these med schools...

OP
M

mbk21

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Why are you taking calc? What is your major? I would change majors...seriously...

"C" is a pass and adequate, but it is not good and a single C can crush your BCPM GPA...and it is not going to do any good for your overall GPA, either...very few med schools require calculus - a handful, joints like Harvard and Hopkins and WUSTL - and to be blunt about it, if you are making Cs in calc, you are not going to be headed to any of these med schools...
Hi,
I haven't declared my major yet, but it is general education requirement at my undergrad school. The C that I was referring to was taken at a community college prior to my matriculation as a freshman at my undergrad.
Thanks

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hi,
I haven't declared my major yet, but it is general education requirement at my undergrad school. The C that I was referring to was taken at a community college prior to my matriculation as a freshman at my undergrad.
Thanks
FYI, that C at that community college will be calculated as part of your AMCAS GPA, so you have already dinged your GPA - this applies to any college or community college class taken, even ones taken during high school - just because it was taken prior to matric at your college means nothing - it still counts.

I have NEVER heard of calculus being a general ed requirement anywhere, but maybe you are going someplace really special - I don't know - but I think I would be sure of it before getting any more bad grades in a BCPM class...

nonesuchgirl

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status
How many exams do you have left?
What did you get on the first one?
How much are they worth?

OP
M

mbk21

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,

Yes, I found out a few months ago that I had already damaged my GPA :( Unfortunately, theres no way that I can get out of it it is a requirement. Your right in the sense that it is one of the ways to fulfill the requirement for the mathematics part of general ed along with computer science classes as another option (but then I'd have start from scratch, where as now I have completed only one of three classes necessary, and I'm in the process of completing the second). But I figured since I've already taken the first part of the class (and technically half way through with fulfilling the requirement) I might as well just take one more quarter of calculus followed by statistics and be done with math.

The midterm was worth 25%, as is the next midterm, and the final is worth 30%, there is still extra credit. I got a 32.50 out of 50, and the average score was a 38.50. I attribute this to my poor math abilities and the fact that its been quite awhile since I've really tried calculus.But there are still more opportunities to raise my grade.

I was just wondering if I take it pass/not pass, will this be seen negatively or be considered as a grade of C? I really don't want to damage my GPA further! :eek:

Thanks again for your continued help guys, I really appreciate it. :)

nonesuchgirl

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status
The midterm was worth 25%, as is the next midterm, and the final is worth 30%, there is still extra credit. I got a 32.50 out of 50, and the average score was a 38.50. I attribute this to my poor math abilities and the fact that its been quite awhile since I've really tried calculus.But there are still more opportunities to raise my grade.

I was just wondering if I take it pass/not pass, will this be seen negatively or be considered as a grade of C? I really don't want to damage my GPA further! :eek:

I think a lot of pass/not pass don't count for things because there's no grade.

You've got 75% left- plenty of time. Ask your instructor or go to the tutoring centre. :luck:

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hi,

Yes, I found out a few months ago that I had already damaged my GPA :( Unfortunately, theres no way that I can get out of it it is a requirement. Your right in the sense that it is one of the ways to fulfill the requirement for the mathematics part of general ed along with computer science classes as another option (but then I'd have start from scratch, where as now I have completed only one of three classes necessary, and I'm in the process of completing the second). But I figured since I've already taken the first part of the class (and technically half way through with fulfilling the requirement) I might as well just take one more quarter of calculus followed by statistics and be done with math.

What makes you think you can take it pass/no pass? And this far into the quarter? At many schools, you are limited as to what you can take on non graded basis - at my school, only "honors" students could take a max of one elective per semester this way...just asking...

You are not even a full year into college, and you have gotten yourself into a jam that really was avoidable. As to what to do about it now: If you can change to a pass/no pass grade, I would do it. It is not viewed as a "C" - it has no impact on your GPA at all.

OP
M

mbk21

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
What makes you think you can take it pass/no pass? And this far into the quarter? At many schools, you are limited as to what you can take on non graded basis - at my school, only "honors" students could take a max of one elective per semester this way...just asking...

You are not even a full year into college, and you have gotten yourself into a jam that really was avoidable. As to what to do about it now: If you can change to a pass/no pass grade, I would do it. It is not viewed as a "C" - it has no impact on your GPA at all.
Hi,

Well, I have until Friday (may 9th) to drop or change grade option. I know it is kind of late, but some departments have the policy until the sixth week of the quarter.

Thanks for helping :)

Moon1234

I don't understand a word
10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
In my opinion, I would either drop it or take it. Better to drop than get a C or lower later on. And the credit/no credit sounds so shady.

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2007
Keeping Warm
Status
A "Pass" isn't figured into the GPA because there is no way of knowing what the letter grade would have been.

Whether or not it looks "shady" isn't going to make the difference in whether you get an interview. Personally, if I were trying to protect my GPA and needed to take that class, I'd take a Pass over a "C" if I didn't think I could manage to do better.

OP
M

mbk21

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys, I'm going to talk to my teacher and TA again to see what they suggest. My TA e-mailed me with my quiz score from last week that I did perfect on. However, the quiz is not even comparable to the test in terms of difficulty. But thanks for the advice and info guys! :)

diamethuel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Don't give up hope! I got a C my first quarter of calculus, too. Then I went and worked my butt off and ended up with an A second quarter. I'm about halfway through my third quarter and now in multivariable calc, and my grade's looking good. See if your school offers tutors, or maybe even ask an older student for help.