Taking Cell Biology without taking Biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureisnear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should take this Cell Biology course for the Spring. It's BIO 465, apparently it's hard form what I've heard from professors. They claim it to be the last of the Biology's before graduate level and deals with Krebs Cycle and all of that. I've not taken Biochemistry nor Genetics yet, so don't know if it'll be over my head. I need a good grade though.

I've had taken the two organics, two anatomy and physiology's, microbiology, general biology's, plant science (not like that really would help.) by then.

Planning on applying for pharmacy school the semester after, so don't want to go ruin my GPA if I'm not gonna be doing alright.

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to decide if I should take this Cell Biology course for the Spring. It's BIO 465, apparently it's hard form what I've heard from professors. They claim it to be the last of the Biology's before graduate level and deals with Krebs Cycle and all of that. I've not taken Biochemistry nor Genetics yet, so don't know if it'll be over my head. I need a good grade though.

I've had taken the two organics, two anatomy and physiology's, microbiology, general biology's, plant science (not like that really would help.) by then.

Planning on applying for pharmacy school the semester after, so don't want to go ruin my GPA if I'm not gonna be doing alright.

Remember that your General Biology class is a survey course. Therefore, you have briefly touched Cell Bio already. But this time around they are just going to be more specific. Is it hard? Its a typical bio class, memorize and regurgitate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cell Biology is a biology course. Biochemistry is a chemistry course. The pre-requisites for Cell Biology were Introduction Biology I and II at the university I went to and it was a 400 level course. Kreb's Cycle was barely touched. It wasn't every reaction like it was in Biochemistry.

Cell Biology is a biology course. Biochemistry is a chemistry course. The pre-requisites for Cell Biology were Introduction Biology I and II at the university I went to and it was a 400 level course. Kreb's Cycle was barely touched. It wasn't every reaction like it was in Biochemistry.

Think I was just over-worrying to be honest. :laugh: But thanks, I'm gonna end up taking it. It would be better in my mind instead of Botany.

My school required up to Organic Chemistry 2 before taking Cell biology

It really does vary by school what prereqs are required for Cell Biology. At my undergrad it was our second bio course. At another institution I've attended, it requires organic chem and other bio classes. Just check your school.