Taking certain courses to increase my chances at Jesuit schools?

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Would taking undergrad courses in Theology, Religion or Philosophy help me get into the religious medical schools (Jesuit, Loma Linda, etc)? I hear these courses are a significant part of their undergrad curriculum…
I doubt it would make that big of a difference. They want to see that you have the same values as they do; they don't so much care whether or not you have taken formal courses about theology and religion. I wouldn't do it. It would seem to be a lot of effort for something that is unlikely to boost your application that much. If you want to have a better chance at Jesuit schools, focus more on service.

Reactions: candbgirl

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I sincerely doubt it.

Would taking undergrad courses in Theology, Religion or Philosophy help me get into the religious medical schools (Jesuit, Loma Linda, etc)? I hear these courses are a significant part of their undergrad curriculum…

ZedsDed

You know what really grinds my gears?
2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
It would be much more effective to increase your volunteering hours with the underserved.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
You could intern at the Vatican over summers.

One of my friends from HS w/ very low stats got into Notre Dame by showing devotion to the Church.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Reactions: DokterMom and Goro

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
You could intern at the Vatican over summers.

One of my friends from HS w/ very low stats got into Notre Dame by showing devotion to the Church.
I actually interviewed an applicant who had interned at the Vatican. Art history major or something...

Reactions: md-2020

ZedsDed

You know what really grinds my gears?
2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I actually interviewed an applicant who had interned at the Vatican. Art history major or something...
Did s/he knock your socks off?

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
at least he can claim a diversity of experience.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
maybe writing a personal statement that professes christian/jesuit religious devotion and ideals?

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Not sure it would help...but TAKE philosophy regardless...you won't regret it.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Not sure it would help...but TAKE philosophy regardless...you won't regret it.
well check the grading curve first. some intro philosophy courses (at my college at least) are bloodbaths.

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
well check the grading curve first. some intro philosophy courses (at my college at least) are bloodbaths.
Really? That's awful. At my undergrad, it was classroom discussion more than anything...which is the way it should be. Philosophy is meant to broaden perspective..and enlighten/engage in higher level thinking...the last thing I would want is for my philosophy class to be a "bloodbath".

LizzyM

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Really? That's awful. At my undergrad, it was classroom discussion more than anything...which is the way it should be. Philosophy is meant to broaden perspective..and enlighten/engage in higher level thinking...the last thing I would want is for my philosophy class to be a "bloodbath".
Philosophy professors value clear and logical writing and speaking and well structured arguments. Philosophy can be a bloodbath grade-wise if you think you can throw any old thing on the page or prattle on and on in a class discussion and expect an A..

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Philosophy professors value clear and logical writing and speaking and well structured arguments. Philosophy can be a bloodbath grade-wise if you think you can throw any old thing on the page or prattle on and on in a class discussion and expect an A..
Well obviously we didn't "throw any old thing" on paper...or "prattle on and on" in discussion. We did the assigned readings, and had regular evaluations using prompts. But the class was never intended to be a "blood bath". From my lucky experience, if you did the reading, provided solid arguments with minimal fallacies..and engaged with peers in discussion...you were pretty much guaranteed a B. I guess my whole point is, the grade wasn't as emphasized as the genuine interest in the topic at hand. Keep in mind, I did attend a heavy math/science school...so our class was not nearly as extensive as that offered at a liberal arts school.

All in all, OP, if you are genuinely interested in the course, take it. If not, skip it.

LizzyM

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Well obviously we didn't "throw any old thing" on paper...or "prattle on and on" in discussion. We did the assigned readings, and had regular evaluations using prompts. But the class was never intended to be a "blood bath". From my lucky experience, if you did the reading, provided solid arguments with minimal fallacies..and engaged with peers in discussion...you were pretty much guaranteed a B. I guess my whole point is, the grade wasn't as emphasized as the genuine interest in the topic at hand. Keep in mind, I did attend a heavy math/science school...so our class was not nearly as extensive as that offered at a liberal arts school.

All in all, OP, if you are genuinely interested in the course, take it. If not, skip it.
B ??? When you need to be shooting for a 3.6 or better (much, much better) a B in philosophy might be considered a bloodbath.

Reactions: CaliforniaDreamer
Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
B ??? When you need to be shooting for a 3.6 or better (much, much better) a B in philosophy might be considered a bloodbath.
Absolutely. If I was doing all the assignments and participating well in class discussion and just getting a B then something must have gone horribly wrong.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Woody Allen joke:

"I was kicked out of my Philosophy class for looking into the soul of the kid sitting next to me."

May 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If you really want to impress a religious school, for your personal statement make an ASCII drawing of the virgin mary holding baby jesus.

LizzyM

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Woody Allen joke:

"I was kicked out of my Philosophy class for looking into the soul of the kid sitting next to me."
That's an IA you can't come back from.

Reactions: Goro
Apr 18, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Philosophers were the first physicians.......or something sort of like that.

A magna or summa philosophy major with pre-med reqs fulfilled will get my vote almost every time. Of course, as long as he or she isn't too weird.