Taking ChemII over summer??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlanG87

noob
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I am starting my college career in about a month at UCF. Anyways, I had a horrible high school chemistry class :smuggrin: :smuggrin: and retained ZERO information. As such, I am taking a somewhat "decelerated" ChemI class. Basically, it is ChemIA and Chem1B covered over 2 semesters - fall and spring 2007. Now, in order for me to not fall behind, I can opt to take General Chemistry 2 + the lab component over next summer (summer 2007). My question is how hard is a summer science class. I know it's going to be a quick moving class and whatnot, but is it doable. :idea: I'm not sure how many credit hours you have to do over a summer semester, but I will definitely make any other classes I take as easy as possible (idk I might take weight lifting or some BS easy A class)...

So, how hard is general chemistry 2, and would you recommend doing it over a summer session. I'd also be taking the lab portion of it at the same time. Let me know what you guys think. :confused:

Thank you all :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

AlanG87 said:
Hey guys - I am starting my college career in about a month at UCF. Anyways, I had a horrible high school chemistry class :smuggrin: :smuggrin: and retained ZERO information. As such, I am taking a somewhat "decelerated" ChemI class. Basically, it is ChemIA and Chem1B covered over 2 semesters - fall and spring 2007. Now, in order for me to not fall behind, I can opt to take General Chemistry 2 + the lab component over next summer (summer 2007). My question is how hard is a summer science class. I know it's going to be a quick moving class and whatnot, but is it doable. :idea: I'm not sure how many credit hours you have to do over a summer semester, but I will definitely make any other classes I take as easy as possible (idk I might take weight lifting or some BS easy A class)...

So, how hard is general chemistry 2, and would you recommend doing it over a summer session. I'd also be taking the lab portion of it at the same time. Let me know what you guys think. :confused:

Thank you all :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well don't you think you should wait and see how you handle your decelerated Chem class first? I mean switching from the declerated course (1/2 speed compared to a normal class) to a basically accelerated one (2x speed compared to a normal class) is going to be a jump. I think Gen Chem II is definitely doable in the summer, but maybe not if you're struggling with Chem, especially if you add in the lab (since they generally require a lot of hours physically being in the lab in exchange for a small amount of credit)

Also, at my school there's no minimum amount of hours for summer courses (well there is if you want financial aid, but not just to take them), but that would be something to check with your school about.

I'd say get through your first semester before you start planning your summer ;)

I agree, I would avoid summer classes if at all possible. First its hard to learn and retain anything in four weeks vs. 15. Second, there are much better things you could be doing with your summer than taking classes.

CTtarheel said:
I agree, I would avoid summer classes if at all possible. First its hard to learn and retain anything in four weeks vs. 15. Second, there are much better things you could be doing with your summer than taking classes.

Eh, retaining the info is over-rated :p You're not gonna remember half of that gen chem stuff 2 years down the road when you're studying for the MCAT. I just meant you should make sure you can handle it.

And I disagree about avoiding summer classes. I took Physics 2 over the summer and I thought it was a great way to get ahead in my coursework. But you have to be realistic and there's no point it doing it if you're going to struggle through it and possibly do poorly.