Taking Chemistry and Biology at Community college vs University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which college should i do bio and chemistry at as a visiting student?

• University of Connecticut

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • University of Massachusetts Amherst

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Community College

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

missrv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently attend a community college and in order to receive my associates degree (so i can transfer to a university) i need to take biology and chemistry. I know that taking premed credits at a cc is not ideal. Should i take bio and chem at community college or should i take them at a university as a visiting student? Does it matter which university i take chem and bio at as a visiting student?. (Only as a visiting student, i do not plan to get my degree from that university)

Members don't see this ad.

If you are enrolled at a CC and are currently not at a university, it shouldn't matter. The problem is when students at a University intentionally avoid their rigorous weeding courses and take them consistently at CC's. I knew a guy who took every, and I mean literally every Pre Req at a CC, despite already being enrolled in a university from day 1. I'm assuming it was quite obvious he was intentionally trying to take the easy way out. Now he's somewhere in the carribbean.

In your case, I would go ahead and take chemistry and biology at your CC. It shouldn't be an issue considering you go there, and will eventually transfer and take your other sciences at a University.

Reactions: 1 users
I currently attend a community college and in order to receive my associates degree (so i can transfer to a university) i need to take biology and chemistry. I know that taking premed credits at a cc is not ideal. Should i take bio and chem at community college or should i take them at a university as a visiting student? Does it matter which university i take chem and bio at as a visiting student?. (Only as a visiting student, i do not plan to get my degree from that university)

Some, perhaps most, medical schools require that your science prereqs be taken at a four-year university while others are indifferent. If you're targeting certain medical schools, I'd recommend contacting them about this.

If you're not targeting certain medical schools, taking the prereqs at a CC would limit the number of medical schools you can apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some, perhaps most, medical schools require that your science prereqs be taken at a four-year university while others are indifferent. If you're targeting certain medical schools, I'd recommend contacting them about this.

If you're not targeting certain medical schools, taking the prereqs at a CC would limit the number of medical schools you can apply to.
so it seems as if i should take biology and chemistry at a university even though i am a community college student? I am trying to get into a good undergrad and medical school.

This thread was posted in a different forum than where it should have been, so I moved it to the appropriate one so that you'll get more responses :)
Oh okay, thanks!

False

Most medical schools won't mind if you take some of your sciences at a CC. However, it is important to take your upper division sciences at a four-year university in order to demonstrate that you can handle tough coursework. Research the schools that you are interested in and see what they say about CC credits.

The location you take the classes depends on a few things: your major, how available the classes are in terms of price and ability to take at a 4-year without being a student at said 4-year, and if you're willing to take >4 years to graduate. Though I will say it is favorable to take the classes at a 4-year, it is absolutely not required.

I was a psych major who graduated then went back to a CC and took EVERY science pre-req at the CC. I've been accepted to a school and interviewed at a top 10 and, separately, a top 20 school. Buy MSAR if you're really interested in seeing which schools don't accept CC credits- I assure you that very few do not.

Reactions: 2 users
Would it matter if I take physics I at a CC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Even Harvard and Hopkins accept CC credits. Whether or not students matriculate with a significant amount of them is another debate. I have heard of WashU flat out telling people in rejection letters that they have too many CC credits.

Would it matter if I take physics I at a CC?

There are many students who have taken some if not all prereqs at a CC. If you are currently attending a 4 year and then take them at a CC you may raise some eyebrows.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
false on the false with 0 explanation
while it is the norm now for schools to accept CC credits, there are still some schools that do not, therefore it would limit the available medical schools.
The explanation is all over this thread and forum at large.

The post I responded to made it out as if taking CC classes for pre reqs would severely limit your options which is false.

The explanation is all over this thread and forum at large.

The post I responded to made it out as if taking CC classes for pre reqs would severely limit your options which is false.

Yowza. You've combed through all the forums debating this topic on the site?

The jury's still out on this topic on the forums I've read.

Please spare us of your intellectual banality. He's been on the forum for a couple years and you've been on it for less than a month apparently; this topic is discussed with regularity.

You stated that most medical schools require pre reqs to be taken at 4 year universities and that is simply false. Preferred perhaps, not widely required.

Two logical fallacies to be noted: 1) The invalid appeal to authority, and an arbitrary one at that of longevity of membership, 2) The assumption that longevity of membership indicates level of authority. Hadn't it occurred to you that I've read through threads on this site without being a member?

No. I stated that perhaps most required them. Third fallacy: quoting out of context.

Why not address the content of my post in place of your dogmatic dismissals of it?

Definitely take your core science classes at a 4 year university. If you take your core science classes at a CC, it might make certain people in their admission committee question the "usefulness" of your grade from that class when determining if you'll make a good candidate for their school. Most CC classes are known to be less challenging in their science courses than a 4-year university, and even if that isn't a case at the particular CC that you're going to a med school might not know that. If you want the best chance at getting into a med school, take ALL of the "pre-med" required classes such as chem, bio, physics, etc at a 4 year university.

Definitely take your core science classes at a 4 year university. If you take your core science classes at a CC, it might make certain people in their admission committee question the "usefulness" of your grade from that class when determining if you'll make a good candidate for their school. Most CC classes are known to be less challenging in their science courses than a 4-year university, and even if that isn't a case at the particular CC that you're going to a med school might not know that. If you want the best chance at getting into a med school, take ALL of the "pre-med" required classes such as chem, bio, physics, etc at a 4 year university.
does it matter which 4 year university i take the pre med classes at? I have the choice of taking them at either uconn or umass.

does it matter which 4 year university i take the pre med classes at? I have the choice of taking them at either uconn or umass.

No. It doesn't matter.

I like UMASS, would not take at a CC. I've been taking general prereqs at CC like women studies, Spanish, etc...misc subjects.

Though I think much of this is speculation, I'll agree, as I already said, that taking the classes at a 4-year is preferred over at a CC. The huge issue here is that the classes one must take to transfer are those very same pre-med science prerequisites you're advocating to take at the 4-year. Thus, unless you're a non-science major, if can be a catch-22 situation