Taking chemistry-biochemistry vs chem. engineering biochemistry

May 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Our school's pre med track and chemical engineering program require biochemistry, and there are three options: biochemistry from biology dept, biochem from chemistry dept, and Intro to Biochem from Chem. Engr dept.

While it is the most convenient to take Intro to Biochem from ChBE dept to satisfy our school's chemical engineering biochem elective, I am not sure if the class grade will be factored in BCPM gpa. Should I take biochem from chemistry/biology dept?

Aug 1, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Most schools specifically state that the biochemistry course should be taught in a chemistry department, with some giving leeway to one taught by a biology department if applicable. Also no it will not be factored into your BPCM. Chemical Engineering is not Chemistry, at least on paper.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Most schools specifically state that the biochemistry course should be taught in a chemistry department, with some giving leeway to one taught by a biology department if applicable. Also no it will not be factored into your BPCM. Chemical Engineering is not Chemistry, at least on paper.
That is incorrect. Courses are classified by content, not by department

As the 2016 AMCAS instructions clearly states
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/54/3c/543c5531-29ce-4049-b278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

Page 39 (bolded in red in the instructions)
Course Classification
Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course.

Page 85 (emphasis added)
Course classification is based solely on the primary
content of the course content, rather than course title or
department through which it is offered.

Consult your pre-professional health advisor or registrar to resolve
any questions concerning this classification

wizzed101

The Little Prince
May 20, 2016
Can you post the textbook used and content outline in the ChEE course? I have a hard time believing that it will be anything like a traditional biochem course.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Can you post the textbook used and content outline in the ChEE course? I have a hard time believing that it will be anything like a traditional biochem course.
Actually post the college course catalog description as that is what AMCAS will use to decide

OP
paul2752
May 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Ch461-Biochemistry I
Three lectures. Survey of the physical and chemical properties of the molecular components and methods of isolating and analyzing them. Usually offered in the fall semester.

BSC-450 Fundamentals of Biochemistry
A one-semester survey of protein structure, enzymes, bioenergetics, metabolism and its regulation. Designed for advanced undergraduate students.

CHE445-Introduction to Biochemical Engineering (This course is offered as mandatory biochem elective)
Study of biological processes; application of chemical engineering skills to areas including enzyme kinetics, fermentation, cell growth and metabolic processes. Offered primarily in the spring semester.

EDIT: I called the ChBE dept today and I was told this will not tick off the box for med school purpose. I might still take it tho because it sounds interesting.

Last edited:

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
For purposes of MCAT prep, questionable
For purposes of AMCAS, it will likely be classified as BCPM
For purposes of prerequisite requirement post-acceptance / pre-matriculation, you are on shakier ground but still likely to be accepted or enough for a decent argument for wavier

Last edited:

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
I think I would disagree with this as well; interestingly enough, my school has two biochem classes, a "Biochem for science and engineering majors" and "Biochem for pre-meds"

The science/engineering one is obviously harder one, but is in the Bio department, and the pre-med one (which is the "watered down" version) is in the chemistry department.

I go to a top 25 school so it's likely the courses are known to med schools; the department really isn't everything

wizzed101

The Little Prince
May 20, 2016
I think I would disagree with this as well; interestingly enough, my school has two biochem classes, a "Biochem for science and engineering majors" and "Biochem for pre-meds"

The science/engineering one is obviously harder one, but is in the Bio department, and the pre-med one (which is the "watered down" version) is in the chemistry department.

I go to a top 25 school so it's likely the courses are known to med schools; the department really isn't everything
Rofl no!! That is the severely watered down one, to the point of perversion. If adcom is familiar with the course, it will not even count for BCPM.

CHE445-Introduction to Biochemical Engineering (This course is offered as mandatory biochem elective)
Study of biological processes; application of chemical engineering skills to areas including enzyme kinetics, fermentation, cell growth and metabolic processes. Offered primarily in the spring semester.
My suspicion is confirmed!

OP: take the Fundamental of Biochemistry.

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
Rofl no!! That is the severely watered down one, to the point of perversion. If adcom is familiar with the course, it will not even count for BCPM.

My suspicion is confirmed!

OP: take the Fundamental of Biochemistry.
No, I can confirm that the Biology course is the full first semester of "real" biochemistry, and the one in Chem department is a combination of two classes -half biochem and half genetics- and is watered down for material only tested on the MCAT. similar to physics vs physics for pre meds

again, I go to a top 25 research; for sure it counts as a biology course and is included in BCPM gpa.

wizzed101

The Little Prince
May 20, 2016
No, I can confirm that the Biology course is the full first semester of "real" biochemistry, and the one in Chem department is a combination of two classes -half biochem and half genetics- and is watered down for material only tested on the MCAT. similar to physics vs physics for pre meds

again, I go to a top 25 research; for sure it counts as a biology course and is included in BCPM gpa.
I know the Biology one is the real deal just by reading the description. The Chem one is obviously watered down, not worth mentioning. The Engineer one, the one that OP is considering, is a travesty.

OP
paul2752
May 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I think I will still that engineering one just for my own interest...now which one is easier? chemistry or biology one? Which one is better for GPA and MCAT purpose?