Taking chemistry one and two at community college while attending 4 year university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I take chem 1 and 2 at community college?

• Total voters

whatsupdoc442

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title basically says the majority, and I know this has been asked to death but I really need some advice. So basically, I've created a 4 year plan that allows me to take my prereqs and a few other core classes before taking the MCAT (i'm a second semester freshman) and due to some poor feedback on when someone can take chemistry at my school, I have to take chemistry over the summer. The chemistry courses at my school are very expensive and the school is too far for me to drive over the summer (i live on campus). My question is: am I shooting myself in the foot if I take chemistry one and two at a community college over the summer? I would really hate for my journey to becoming a medical student to be stumped JUST because I had to take a prereq at community college. Is there still a chance for me in med schools nowadays? I plan to take every other prereq and course needed at my university.

(Also, my GPA so far is 4.0 right now, I haven't done any clinical stuff but i plan to volunteer this summer at my local hospital and shadow my doctor, and I'm in a good amount of clubs and activities)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• MED SCHOOL JOURNEY.docx
    14.1 KB · Views: 56
Take them at a CC. If you do poor, then you're not in a good situation. I would suggest you take it at your university. It's up to you.

Last edited:
Take them at a CC. If you do poor, then you're not in a good situation. I would suggest you take it your university. It's up to you.
I don't agree with Turk often :p, but he's 100% right here. Can you find a local state (4-year) school to take it at (I did this for orgo, and it cost me less than 5k as an in-state resident for the entire sequence)?

Most schools "accept" pre-reqs at CC's, but the prevalent opinion I've seen both IRL and on SDN is that they are still viewed somewhat negatively.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan on taking ochem and biochem at your school, then the CC makes sense in this case. Just know you'll have to get A/A-/B+ in those higher courses at your institute so it doesn't look like you're strategically trying to protect your GPA.

Wow, thanks for the advice everyone!
Can you find a local state (4-year) school to take it at (I did this for orgo, and it cost me less than 5k as an in-state resident for the entire sequence)?

Most schools "accept" pre-reqs at CC's, but the prevalent opinion I've seen both IRL and on SDN is that they are still viewed somewhat negatively.
No, no less that 45- an hour for me :(
Yeah I noticed that too, I just really don't want to have to wait longer to take the MCAT and start the whole process..

If you plan on taking ochem and biochem at your school, then the CC makes sense in this case. Just know you'll have to get A/A-/B+ in those higher courses at your institute so it doesn't look like you're strategically trying to protect your GPA.
that's true! I'll have to...

From my experience they aren't going to be any easier if that's what you're after. My prof tells me that the curriculum is the exact same to ensure transferring.

From my experience they aren't going to be any easier if that's what you're after. My prof tells me that the curriculum is the exact same to ensure transferring.
nope, just trying to save money lol since i have to take chem 1 and 2 in the summer, i really cant afford it at my school... i just want med schools to hear me out as to why I took it at CC instead of university, before shutting me out completely

nope, just trying to save money lol since i have to take chem 1 and 2 in the summer, i really cant afford it at my school... i just want med schools to hear me out as to why I took it at CC instead of university, before shutting me out completely

FWIW, I'm at a CC; there have been many people who take some or all prereqs at a cc and get accepted. Doesn't really matter. I highly doubt anyone would even bring it up.

I will be taking most prereqs at my transfer uni, but thats just because of the way things fell for me, not that Im necessarily avoiding taking them at a CC. Ive done some of them already.

Last edited:
Thanks! that actually makes me feel a bit better lol, are you from a 4 year like me and just taking a few courses, or originally from community college?

many people who take some or all prereqs at a cc and get accepted

From what I've heard, if it's an obvious time constraint (and your transcript shows this), then it's cool

If not: the med schools will raise an eyebrow

Could you live on campus and get a research gig while taking the chem sequence at your home university over the summer?
As mentioned above, taking it at a CC looks like a case of protecting the GPA, particularly if you have a 4.0. It also looks like poor planning on someone's part given that a "pre-med" should be taking chem as a freshman, o-chem as a sophomore and biochem as a junior to take the MCAT "on schedule" to apply in June after junior year.

The other thing I worry about with CC in the summer is getting stuck with a terrible professor and having little choice. You may also find that the competition is stiff if the class is full of other pre-meds from top schools who have the same idea you have. I can recall some PMs from someone who had that experience with the physics sequence -- he was lucky to get away with a B and it was a B at a community college which made it worse.

Finally, taking chem at your school can position you to get a research gig in chem or a better letter of recommendation than you'd get from a community college professor.

Could you consider taking a gap year to work in a clinical setting, do full-time service as a volunteer, or do research? There are some good reasons for interviewing over a gap year rather than as a senior, particularly if you are positioned to have 10 or more interviews which can mean missing 20 days of school in fall-winter of senior year. This year, the majority of applicants I've interviewed have already graduated college.

As a freshman, you want to do this as quickly as possible but sometimes the slower route is the more successful.

LizzyM A lot of what you said made sense, I guess I just assumed if I explained my situation to Adcoms they would take it easy on me. I'm already part of a research gig, but I see what you're saying about waiting. I'll ask my parents if there is ANY way I can take it at my school over the summer, because this is something I really don't want to ruin my chances in.
I wouldn't mind taking a gap year at all, I would love a chance to strengthen my application.
Thank you for your response