taking classes at community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a 4 year college and would like take some of the social science/humanity classes at a local cc to fulfill the degree requirement. I am finishing my science/math/english classes at the home college.

Classes I want to take: anthropology, philosophy, american politics.

Will they look bad on my transcript since the credits are transferred from a community college? I only want to save time and take more upper level science classes that i am interested in.

Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently enrolled in a 4 year college and would like take some of the social science/humanity classes at a local cc to fulfill the degree requirement. I am finishing my science/math/english classes at the home college.

Will they look bad on my transcript since the credits are transferred from a community college? I only want to save time and take more upper level science classes that i am interested in.

Any comments?

Why cant you take them at the univ?

Is it bad if I take them at the community college?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am thinking about spending one semester study abroad. That's why I am considering taking classes at a cc to fulfill the requirements.

i think you need a legitimate reason that the adcom won't see through. if you do, you're fine. i took a bcpm class at a cc and am doing ok

i am thinking about spending one semester study abroad. That's why I am considering taking classes at a cc to fulfill the requirements.

Are you trying to take two full-time loads at two different colleges?

I still dont see why you cant just add them on where you are at? They are not hard classes.....

Any comments?
I guess it would depend on where you would want to go, for a top 20- 25 Med school. No.
otherwise if the school doesn't matter and you "just want to be a MD". Go ahead and take them, The only Classes I would take at a University are Chem, Bio, and Physics (all lower and upper level).
personally, I took english, Lit, Psyc., Georgraphy, Art, and a couple other.
But that is my $.02 .

I guess it would depend on where you would want to go, for a top 20- 25 Med school. No.
otherwise if the school doesn't matter and you "just want to be a MD". Go ahead and take them, The only Classes I would take at a University are Chem, Bio, and Physics (all lower and upper level).
personally, I took english, Lit, Psyc., Georgraphy, Art, and a couple other.
But that is my $.02 .

Yeah, I think it is fine too. I just dont see why the OP should pay the extra money....just add the classes on to what you are taking at the university unless you pay by the hr.

Yeah, I think it is fine too. I just dont see why the OP should pay the extra money....just add the classes on to what you are taking at the university unless you pay by the hr.
At my school for a 3sem hr. Psyc course is like $2,400, while the same course offered at my C.C. that DID transfer cost only $420 (price of Book included). no brainer I took it last year at a C.C. over the summer in 3 weeks.. got a "A".

I took many classes at a CC including general chem, bio, and physics. Not to mention my first two years (associates degree) and I got in.

The truth is there isn't really a formula you can follow, its about doing whats right for you, what you enjoy, and working hard and doing the best you can at everything. I'm a non-trad so things are a little different for me, but its about making your mind up and doing your best. There is no "one road" to med school there are many, just make your own and you will be fine.

I think it is one thing to start of at a cc, like me, and a whole different thing going back to a cc after being at a four year. That has the potential of looking bad. That being said, you may get away with it since they are not pre-reqs.

Here is a link that I find helpful in regards to this subject.

http://www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/tap/premed.html

I think Grades make all the difference doesnt matter where you get them.

I had to take a few science classes at CC freshman year, because I blewout my knee and need reconstructive knee surgery...I got a late orientation date=late signing up for class. I couldnt get into them, so I took them at a CC...

Sometimes stuff happens and you cant help it...

Really itz a good subject..hope you shall definitely make it

thx for the replies gusy, really appreciated it.

I am not taking any science classes at the cc, they are just humanity and social science classes that a liberal arts college requires you to finish. I am thinking taking them at the community college in order to save time for more individual research/study abroad opportunities (like take a semester off at the lab in TN). If it looks bad, i guess i will try to fit them in my schedule somewhere. But the thing is that CC classes are not really that expensive, and I wanna do some productive things in the summer if I don't get into a research project I have applied.

thx for the replies gusy, really appreciated it.

I am not taking any science classes at the cc, they are just humanity and social science classes that a liberal arts college requires you to finish. I am thinking taking them at the community college in order to save time for more individual research/study abroad opportunities (like take a semester off at the lab in TN). If it looks bad, i guess i will try to fit them in my schedule somewhere. But the thing is that CC classes are not really that expensive, and I wanna do some productive things in the summer if I don't get into a research project I have applied.

Do you have to pay for all your credit hrs or just up to a point? We used to pay just for up to 18 or so and the rest was free!!

Are you taking them while taking classes during the semester at your primary university or would these courses be during the summer? If you're doing it during the summer, I think community college courses are a perfectly logical choice (cheaper than paying for a university summer session, often closer to home, etc). However, if you are doing it during the school year, I would say you should try and take them at your university, otherwise it would look like you are trying to avoid courses at your university for some reason (unless you found a course at the cc that fulfilled your requirement that your university doesn't offer). But I don't think it makes a huge difference unless you are taking one of the stereotypically difficult required classes at the cc (like chem/orgo/etc).