Taking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much money do you have? We have to be really careful with what we spend (already digging into savings for the rest of my post-bac classes), so when I'm interested in something like that, I have found lectures on iTunesU or through UC San Diego - it has nearly all of its class lectures available as podcasts. Coursera may also have something as well (I have only used that for programming). If you have a great GPA, there's no reason to take an official class - instead listen to the lectures and purchase the textbook to study on your own. Of course, part of a great philosophy course is responding to the text though essays, etc. But I don't necessarily think it would be worth the cost.

How much money do you have? We have to be really careful with what we spend (already digging into savings for the rest of my post-bac classes), so when I'm interested in something like that, I have found lectures on iTunesU or through UC San Diego - it has nearly all of its class lectures available as podcasts. Coursera may also have something as well (I have only used that for programming). If you have a great GPA, there's no reason to take an official class - instead listen to the lectures and purchase the textbook to study on your own. Of course, part of a great philosophy course is responding to the text though essays, etc. But I don't necessarily think it would be worth the cost.

I don't have a lot of money. I guess I could just find online communities to engage with

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll check out the UCSD course lectures, didn't know about that

I'll check out the UCSD course lectures, didn't know about that
They are really helpful! I used the physiology lecture when prepping for the MCAT. You might bounce around different years with different professors to find the most interesting classes.

You can study philosophy just fine without paying someone to ask you to write a paper on the subject.

Reactions: 1 user
You can study philosophy just fine without paying someone to ask you to write a paper on the subject.
It does help to have someone more knowledgeable than you on the subject guide you through more dense topics—and, at least for me, philosophy courses were much more than "writing papers." Nevertheless, I would base your decision on how much disposable you have; and, like @DBC03 said, you can probably find many online sources for free!

If you are set on taking a class, you could audit a class at a community college? It'd be cheap (my CC charges $15/unit to audit a class), and since it is not for credit, it wouldn't harm your GPA.

This link explains it more
When should you audit a college course?

Last edited:
Free :) Philosophy Courses | Coursera

Scroll and you see schools like: Yale, U Penn, etc.

I took a physiology course taught by 2 Duke professors - was excellent! Dr. Jakoi could make learning the fundamental chemical bonding mechanisms of methyl ethyl ketone C2H5COCH3 + titanium dioxide TiO2 + metallic pigments + xylene C6H4(CH3)2 migrating on the phase diagram from various states interesting!;)

I graduated with my bachelor's in biology, and I regret not investigating philosophy courses as a student. After studying for the MCAT, I realized that I like reading philosophy. This might sound stupid, but I'd like to read more about it purely for enjoyment, and I think taking an introductory course would be helpful, since I know it can be a dense subject for a beginner. Do you think taking courses as a non-degree seeking student are worth it? Or does this just sound like a waste of money? I still want to go to med school in 2 years, but this is just something I've become interested in. I guess schools would see that I took coursework after undergrad, but I'm sure they'd understand if I explained to them that it was for my own self-interest. On the other hand, I could be completely wrong, and maybe an intro to philosophy course would show me that I hate the subject, and I would end up failing and dropping my GPA.....that would be pretty funny.
Only you can answer your questions.

I think taking courses for fulfillment is not a waste of money if it is something you value. However, putting your GPA at risk for it seems a little unnecessary. There are definitely plenty of awesome online resources, podcasts, lectures, you name it. Take it from there and definitely explore this interest, it's really important to take a break from science and exercise other parts of your brain!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile