taking community college class during spring semester of senior year of hs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoctor5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I took public speaking at a community college during my last semester of high school but did really poorly(got a C) as I did not know that I could take the class P/F. Do you think that AMCAS will consider that class as part of the cGPA for medical school? I also took a english class (got an A) there as a prereq for my university's writing requirement and so my university has both those classes on my current transcript.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to report all college courses on your AMCAS app, including the ones you took as a high school student. You'll be asked to input the amount of units, grade received, and when/where you took the course. You'll also have to request a transcript from that community college to be sent to AMCAS. You have to assign a category to each course listed...it sounds like that public speaking class might go under the "Communications" category (see this thread for list of categories: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026). It won't get factored into the science GPA that AMCAS calculates for you (which is only composed of BCPM - bio, chem, physics, math courses), but it'll get factored into your "All Other" GPA.

starl3tte nailed it. You need to report all college courses you ever took anywhere to AMCAS. Anything less is academic dishonesty and grounds for expulsion, even if you are admitted and several years in.