taking DAT in 2 weeks. haven't studied yet. any tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoughboyFresh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so yeah, i'm a lazy bum. i'm taking the DAT in 2 weeks and haven't started studying. what's worse, i'm taking a full load this semester.

any tips for last minute cramming, besides getting down on both knees and praying? :)

Members don't see this ad.

you might be okay depending on how long ago you took chem and orgo and bio. do you have other things going on? classes or work? if you sit every day studying from 9 to 5 you might be okay. just get started already! are you applying for 08 admissions?

If you aren't a genius and can't learn something in one read through then don't take the test in two weeks especially with a full load of course work. Wait until winter break or the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
you might be okay depending on how long ago you took chem and orgo and bio. do you have other things going on? classes or work? if you sit every day studying from 9 to 5 you might be okay. just get started already! are you applying for 08 admissions?

bio = 3 yrs, chem/orgo = 2 yrs. i dont remember squat. im taking 16 hrs of mainly upper level science courses. no work, thank god. and my app is already in for 2008. they're just waiting for my scores.

If you aren't a genius and can't learn something in one read through then don't take the test in two weeks especially with a full load of course work. Wait until winter break or the summer.

im by no means a a genius, as evident by the fact i waited this long to take my DAT. unfortunately, i can't wait til the the break to take it. see above for reason.

i've been searching through and seems like a lot of people like DAT destroyer. problem is, i only have 2 weeks and the thing costs 150 bucks! it's not so much the money, but will i have time to fully take advantage of this study guide?

2 weeks is not enough time for the destroyer especially if you claim to not remember squat. dont waste your money

what else do you want people to think by making a thread called havent studied but taking in 2 weeks. It points out that you are either very very smart or very very stupid. good day sir

what else do you want people to think by making a thread called havent studied but taking in 2 weeks. It points out that you are either very very smart or very very stupid. good day sir

thanks. i already conceded to the fact that it was pretty dumb of me to wait this long. i posted this thread to ask for help, not to be lectured. but hey, if flexing your internet muscles makes you feel better about yourself, by all means...;)

I didn't mean to sound rude in my post. I know that there are some very intelligent individuals out there who could probably study for a few hours over the course of 2 weeks and get i the high 90 percentile. I'm not one of them and needed over two months to learn everything. If you are like me I strongly suggest you rethink about taking the DAT now and take it when you have the most time available for studying. Wish you the best of luck doughboyfresh.

I didn't mean to sound rude in my post. I know that there are some very intelligent individuals out there who could probably study for a few hours over the course of 2 weeks and get i the high 90 percentile. I'm not one of them and needed over two months to learn everything. If you are like me I strongly suggest you rethink about taking the DAT now and take it when you have the most time available for studying. Wish you the best of luck doughboyfresh.

i didn't take your post to be rude at all. thanks for you input. :thumbup:

doughboy if you are not remembering a thing I would save my money and wait till next year. Seriously if you don't remember a thing you will be wasting money to take the DAT and send it out to all of the schools, secondaries...etc. Why not just wait pay the 150 for the destroyer and then wisely invest your money next year with a way better score?
no i am not trying to discourage competition just giving, what I think, is sound advice

Since you only have 2 weeks and you are already taking a full-load of classes, it sounds like the what you "may" have enough time for is a few complete practice tests. Each practice test will take 4 hours.

I suggest buying the Kaplan DAT book ($60 at Borders or Amazon), and take the three practice tests, each a few days apart. You also should take each of these test as a complete test. Don't take it in pieces! Part of the difficulty of the test is stamina.

Look at your test scores and try to understand as many of the questions that you get wrong as you can, and see what happens.

My prediction is that your practice tests will be in the range of 12-15. If this is the case, your real test a few days later will be around 12-15. If you submit those scores to AADSAS, you just wrote yourself a rejection letter to all the schools.

A DAT test in the high teens in Dec is better than a DAT test in Oct that is 15 or lower.

doughboy if you are not remembering a thing I would save my money and wait till next year. Seriously if you don't remember a thing you will be wasting money to take the DAT and send it out to all of the schools, secondaries...etc. Why not just wait pay the 150 for the destroyer and then wisely invest your money next year with a way better score?
no i am not trying to discourage competition just giving, what I think, is sound advice

unfortunately, i've already sent out my apps. i've dug myself quite a grave.

Members don't see this ad :)
The grave is getting slightly deeper as you poll the peanut gallery, instead of studying. Hit the books already man.

A DAT test in the high teens in Dec is better than a DAT test in Oct that is 15 or lower.

very true. i took a mock DAT last semester and got a 16. not a good score by any means, but decent considering i don't remember squat. =) perhaps i will do a few practice tests and see if i can improve on my weak areas. if i don't get in the high teens by mid next week, i guess i'll have no choice but to push it back...again.

thanks. i already conceded to the fact that it was pretty dumb of me to wait this long. i posted this thread to ask for help, not to be lectured. but hey, if flexing your internet muscles makes you feel better about yourself, by all means...;)

C'mon, you have to admit that you came off as kind of an idiot with your post. 2 weeks until your DAT and you haven't studied one bit? What last minute advice do you need to hear from people besides to STUDY?!

You don't sound like you're in need of advice... you sound like you wanted to share your amusing predicament with SDN.

Most of us here on SDN want to help each other out, but you're going to need to have more tact with your questions if you don't want people bashing you.

"So I've been really lazy lately. I've had an infection on my hand for about a month now, and I haven't seen a doctor yet. It looks like my hand is going to fall off. What advice do you guys have besides going to the doctor and learning how to write with my other hand? LOL!"

So if you want some real advice... Destroyer isn't going to help you unless you have some basics down with your sciences. If you go into Destroyer dry, you're going to be spending a lot of time trying to figure out what the answers mean. Also, have you practiced any PAT, and are you quick with algebra, trig, and word problems? A lot of people have been crapping out on the QR section. Even the people who studied and practice for this section are doing bad.

You can try taking it, 'cause you never know... you might do well. But if I were you, I would cut my losses now. Extend your DAT until next spring, \withdraw your applications, and apply for next cycle to save on the costs of supplemental fees.

Three sections of the DAT easily require good time management skills (PAT, RC, and QR). The sciences are basically 'do you know it or not' questions. If you're good with RC type questions you should be solid there. If you are great at math then you should be solid there. I don't think many people are solid with the PAT the first few times. That's really a section where you need to take a few practice tests. Anywhere from 5-10. With the time you have left you should be focusing mainly on sciences so the other 3 sections might be sacrificed (especially PAT) if you aren't good with the material.

I would spend 6 days on sciences and getting all the facts into your brain. Read every chapter you can. Do 2 days per subject. Then I would spend half a week on the other 3 sections (QR, RC, PAT). If you're a math genius then you probably won't need to work on QR and can devote more time to sciences. If you are amazing with RC questions then you can probably focus less time there too. But practice *time management* above all else. Maybe on QR you will need to work on formulas as well.

Then spend the last few days hardcore on sciences, one science per day. Do all the practice tests you can for that subject only. Go over all wrong answers and any questions where you guessed correctly. Figure out why you got an answer wrong. Look at why the correct answer is correct. Look at why the wrong answers are wrong. Do this each day for each of the 3 science sections.

At the end, put them all together and try a few Natural Science full length tests.

I would also recommend taking a full length DAT *NOW*. Then take one before your final crunch time (after your PAT, QR, RC days). Then take one the day before the test.

Since you claim to not be a genius, this is probably your best bet.

However for the record I would recommend saving your money and pushing the exam back a bit. You'd have more of a chance of getting into d-school if you took it a month later and got an AA of a 20 rather than a 16.

hey, i don't want to discourage you here...But i am somewhat of an example who studied 2 weeks before the exam....due to my limitations cuz of my baby, i didn't have lot of time on my hand to study...plus i had 3 year gap, after my graduation...so nothing was in my mind..i had to recall everything...in 2 weeks and remember it...i finished my bio text book (not word to word), somewhat of destroyer, i got math formula from internet, never did RC. my biggest mistake was, i took my topscore practice test, like 4 days before my test....i got an AA of 14...everybody on SDN told me not to go for real one....they were right..but i had a great family pressure...they thought i wanted to delay it just because i was scared of the test...i tried the practice test again, second time, i went point higher for each section...but not very helpful...by then it was too late for me to delay...and i guess it was for a good reason...i took the DAT. ofcourse i didn't do well. i got an AA of 14. destroyer didn't help me much on the test, not cuz it is not good, because, in 2 weeks, the way i did destroyer wasn't good. now i know how DAT is. soooooooo different then topscore...my real PAT was lot harder then topscore, RC were lot harder then topscore, math i don't even want to mention...but it was all cuz of not a lot of practice......i m retaking it, knowing what to expect..

my advice to u is, if u r taking it in 2 weeks, u know ur capabilities...first thing, take a practice test, that is timed...like topscore (it is like ur testometer, it will tell u where u stand). and i think it is worth getting. it did help me pace myself...so right away find out where u stand...see where u need to work hard...since u have things fresh in ur mind, shouldnt be a lot of problem...only thing worked for me on the test is whatever i remembered from what i learned years ago (from 2001) and i scored 14...if things were fresher in my mind, surely would have scored higher..

so take a sample see where u stand first....2 weeks will fly in a blink...i studied even in the toilet...so use ur time...but relax urself too..eat well and sleep well....think positive, no matter how much negativity is around u..GOOD LUCK.;)

what more help do you need besides the obvious fact that you need to go study and stop wasting your time on here lol. I'm starting to believe you when you say that you're truly not a genius :laugh: Oh you would flex your muscles too if you had any DOUGHBOY and we all know what doughboy means

what more help do you need besides the obvious fact that you need to go study and stop wasting your time on here lol. I'm starting to believe you when you say that you're truly not a genius :laugh: Oh you would flex your muscles too if you had any DOUGHBOY and we all know what doughboy means

Hey man, it is very obvious you are very insecure. Why do you continue to post your garbage and put downs on this site? I sure hope the MODS notice this and either give you a warning or outright ban you. You're a detriment to this board and to the people that come here seeking real advice. Grow up dude or go elsewhere.

Your posts suck.

Hey man, it is very obvious you are very insecure. Why do you continue to post your garbage and put downs on this site? I sure hope the MODS notice this and either give you a warning or outright ban you. You're a detriment to this board and to the people that come here seeking real advice. Grow up dude or go elsewhere.

Your posts suck.

Your posts simply amuse me. You never fail to deliver the good stuff. It seems like the only time you post anything is when you see an opportunity to fling some insults my way which is kinda funny but also a little scary since it gives you stalker like tendencies. I think I might have to report you to the MODS myself if you keep this up and then we'll see who gets banned.

DoughboyFresh...The absolute best thing you could do would be to familiarize yourself with the test. Learn the structure of the sections and maybe take some practice tests to work on your time management. At this point you cannot review all of the material you will need to (you may be able to fit in a little review in a section you feel weaker in). You will have to hope your knowledge of the sciences is sufficient. Part of succeeding on the DAT is knowing how to take the test. Good Luck!!!

Your posts simply amuse me. You never fail to deliver the good stuff. It seems like the only time you post anything is when you see an opportunity to fling some insults my way which is kinda funny but also a little scary since it gives you stalker like tendencies. I think I might have to report you to the MODS myself if you keep this up and then we'll see who gets banned.

Damn straight buddy. From here on out I am going to follow ALL of your posts and flag each and everyone of them that suck like most of the others. None of my posts have insults thrown at you, so get your facts straight. Bring it on.

I blame armorshell for making the "tough internet" guy routine somehow, in vogue.

Damn straight buddy. From here on out I am going to follow ALL of your posts and flag each and everyone of them that suck like most of the others. ALL of my posts have insults thrown at you, so get your facts straight. Bring it on.

:laugh: ooo I'm so scared of big bad porkchop.

The suggestions to the OP can be made without the insults. Everyone please try and keep on topic. Thank you! :)

I'm with tinman here...and to the OP, they're not going to tell you anything you don't already know, so work hard and get the scores you deserve. Good luck.

PorkChop, i m with you...But bodybld is acting like a kid...and its best to ignore them, when they are acting worst.. don't give him attention, and he will be fine....i have a kid..i know...

PorkChop, i m with you...But bodybld is acting like a kid...and its best to ignore them, when they are acting worst.. don't give him attention, and he will be fine....i have a kid..i know...

I dont need to hear smack from someone who cant even stay away from their kid to make time to seriously study for the DAT and uses their kid as an excuse for failure on the test. As much as I am flattered that I am the center of the universe for both of you, you guys need to get a life.

Man Bodybld, you're making a lot of friends from this thread. Haha, it's all good. I actually find your posts amusing. It's like, you're kind of a jerk, but in a very funny way... kind of like House M.D. Also, I've seen you post before and you're a pretty helpful guy on SDN.

C'mon people, Bodybld is just keepin' it real!

phraud..i know i've seen his posts too...he is helpful at times...see everybody is not same here...some people really need help, and not lectures...cuz they are probly already getting it from their family or whoever...so when bodybld gives a blunt advice, and the person needing adivce is not offended, then fine..but if the person doesn't like the tone of advice, that mean,s bodybld needs to stop...cuz then he is not helping that person at all...instead frustrating that person even more, during his nervousness of exam, when the person taking exam 's mind is about to blast from too many things...come on...

so bodybld, i m not against u...no matter what u said about me being so attached to my child...i don't blame u, cuz u don't know the feeling...all i can say, is YOU WILL KNOW WHEN U HAVE ONE...remember me then...and i never blamed my child, no parent would...i blamed circumstances and myself...
and it is fun reading ur posts, to people who r done taking test...not for people who are really seeking help...so be cool, be real (like u've been) and be nice...simple..

Man Bodybld, you're making a lot of friends from this thread. Haha, it's all good. I actually find your posts amusing. It's like, you're kind of a jerk, but in a very funny way... kind of like House M.D. Also, I've seen you post before and you're a pretty helpful guy on SDN.

C'mon people, Bodybld is just keepin' it real!

Rodney_king.jpg

"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"

phraud..i know i've seen his posts too...he is helpful at times...see everybody is not same here...some people really need help, and not lectures...cuz they are probly already getting it from their family or whoever...so when bodybld gives a blunt advice, and the person needing adivce is not offended, then fine..but if the person doesn't like the tone of advice, that mean,s bodybld needs to stop...cuz then he is not helping that person at all...instead frustrating that person even more, during his nervousness of exam, when the person taking exam 's mind is about to blast from too many things...come on...

so bodybld, i m not against u...no matter what u said about me being so attached to my child...i don't blame u, cuz u don't know the feeling...all i can say, is YOU WILL KNOW WHEN U HAVE ONE...remember me then...and i never blamed my child, no parent would...i blamed circumstances and myself...
and it is fun reading ur posts, to people who r done taking test...not for people who are really seeking help...so be cool, be real (like u've been) and be nice...simple..

blah blah blah you bore me with your jibber jabber. I think you should practice what you preach and not lecture people obviously because you dont know what the hell you're talking about and secondly because you cannot seem to articulate your thoughts in a coherent and concise manner. Every post you make you go on a rant about your kid blah blah blah.:sleep: You expect people to pity your dismal DAT performance because of your situation. Get real. I didnt know this was the pity me please forum.

Just because I dont sugar coat things everyone is all up in my "biznes"
If you dont like my "blunt advice" then you dont have to read or take it although it probably is better advice than half the people give out on here.
For example, Telling someone who has had three failed DAT attempts to keep retaking another 5 or 6 times is not sound advice in my opinion. People focus too much on being considerate and supportive and sometimes forget that people need a kick in the ass to jumpstart things to progression and on the road to success.
This forum has gotten weak because of people like you and others who just like to yakity yak and criticize others all day long.
If you dont like my "tone" then you obviously havent been out in the real world. Mind you not everything is sugar coated out there.

blah blah blah you bore me with your jibber jabber. I think you should practice what you preach and not lecture people obviously because you dont know what the hell you're talking about and secondly because you cannot seem to articulate your thoughts in a coherent and concise manner. Every post you make you go on a rant about your kid blah blah blah.:sleep: You expect people to pity your dismal DAT performance because of your situation. Get real. I didnt know this was the pity me please forum.

Just because I dont sugar coat things everyone is all up in my "biznes"
If you dont like my "blunt advice" then you dont have to read or take it although it probably is better advice than half the people give out on here.
For example, Telling someone who has had three failed DAT attempts to keep retaking another 5 or 6 times is not sound advice in my opinion. People focus too much on being considerate and supportive and sometimes forget that people need a kick in the ass to jumpstart things to progression and on the road to success.
This forum has gotten weak because of people like you and others who just like to yakity yak and criticize others all day long.
If you dont like my "tone" then you obviously havent been out in the real world. Mind you not everything is sugar coated out there.

Wow, you are so full of yourself it's pathetic. Nobody comes here and asks for advice to be "kicked in the ass" by a internet bully/loser. Showing respect and being courteous to others are lessons your parents forgot to teach you. Those qualities are very important in the "real world".

You don't give blunt advice, you kick people when they are vulnerable. You're advice sucks and you're a dickhead. Why the mods allow you to continue being a jerk is beyond me.

Wow, you are so full of yourself it's pathetic. Nobody comes here and asks for advice to be "kicked in the ass" by a internet bully/loser. Showing respect and being courteous to others are lessons your parents forgot to teach you. Those qualities are very important in the "real world".

You don't give blunt advice, you kick people when they are vulnerable. You're advice sucks and you're a dickhead. Why the mods allow you to continue being a jerk is beyond me.

you don't sound so friendly yourself.....

so yeah, i'm a lazy bum. i'm taking the DAT in 2 weeks and haven't started studying. what's worse, i'm taking a full load this semester.

any tips for last minute cramming, besides getting down on both knees and praying? :)

Hey let us know after you take the test how it went. It seems like you know you don't need advice from any of us anyways. Good luck tho. Don't disappear on us after your test.

i guess this applies to everyone:

if u r looking for advices
be ready to accept advices that "you don't like"

if you are looking for comfort
it's best to tell others in advance so other people will know

to OP
based on ur first post,
i didn't think you were really asking for help here too.
what u were asking was asking us to create a "personalized two week studying plan" for you.
you are not giving us any information on ur foundation on each subject and ur time availability for the next two week, it's probably impossible to give any advices that are truely helpful.

and ur tone sounded like it's a cool thing also made me feel u weren't serious on the question neither

Yeah, it all depends on your background.
Bright side is, my friend studied for 3 weeks hardcore and managed to get a 98th percentile AA. So good luck.

i guess this applies to everyone:

if u r looking for advices
be ready to accept advices that "you don't like"

if you are looking for comfort
it's best to tell others in advance so other people will know

to OP
based on ur first post,
i didn't think you were really asking for help here too.
what u were asking was asking us to create a "personalized two week studying plan" for you.
you are not giving us any information on ur foundation on each subject and ur time availability for the next two week, it's probably impossible to give any advices that are truely helpful.

and ur tone sounded like it's a cool thing also made me feel u weren't serious on the question neither

i don't mean to sound insulting, but maybe you should read my first 2 posts again. i stated when i took my science classes and how much i remember. i also stated i was taking 16 hrs of upper level science classes so that should have given you a clue as to how much time i have to devote to studying.

i know what kind of situation im in. i didn't come here to be comforted. i'm all fine with constructive criticism, but i can do without the sarcastic comments.

at any rate, i got all the advice i wanted from this post. thanks to all who chipped in.

honestly.... with the little studying you have done... i really don't see you getting higher than a 15 on Bio.... Its random and requires some studying....I didn't study for math or Pat and got a 18 and 19.... i did study for science and did very well...22.... with 2 weeks left... the kaplan blue book could help ALOT ALOT ALOT.... i studied orgo and gen chem from there plus destroyer and got a 27 and 24..... i learned all the concepts in the blue book but u kinda need the destroyer just so you actually know if u " know" it... i could have done the destroyer blind after a while... it def works...

i don't mean to sound insulting, but maybe you should read my first 2 posts again. i stated when i took my science classes and how much i remember. i also stated i was taking 16 hrs of upper level science classes so that should have given you a clue as to how much time i have to devote to studying.

i know what kind of situation im in. i didn't come here to be comforted. i'm all fine with constructive criticism, but i can do without the sarcastic comments.

at any rate, i got all the advice i wanted from this post. thanks to all who chipped in.

it was clear in my message that i said "based on ur first post".
that's usually the first message that everyone reads, and the impression everyone has.

besides, u started argueing with another person's statement that was made before ur second post.

so u have full course load? What does that mean? you have no time to study at all (then why bother asking)? Or u can put those courses aside for two weeks and study full time on DAT? How many hours can u sqeeze out a day on DAT?

btw, u have already showed us how much time u have devoted to studying with the "2 weeks, haven't started" title

and, my advice, postpone the dat until u think u r ready