1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Taking DAT on Aug 30/Send app in late Aug: am I too late?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by euphaire, Aug 8, 2011.

1. euphaire

euphaire Blank
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hi everyone,

I'll be taking my DAT on Aug 30 and sending my app in sometime this month (depends on how fast AADSAS is...). I know I'm really late compared to everyone else on this forum. Seeing as every school costs about $100+ to apply, I would want to eliminate the schools that REALLY prefer early submission of application. I'm a Canadian so the only schools I can apply to are private ones, such as NYU, Tuft, Boston(?), Columbia etc. Does anyone know if I'm too late for any of the schools?

By too late, I mean usually seats are 80-90% filled already if I sent in my application in late Aug.

Thank you very much! :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pk62281

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    How could the seats be filled if acceptance letters arent sent out until December

4. euphaire

euphaire Blank
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. What I meant was: if I submitted in late August, I'm sure I'll be too late to make the first round of interview/rejection decisions at many schools. By missing that, I'll probably come AFTER some % of the seats already filled from the first batch of interviews. In this sense, which schools would be "too late" for me?

Thanks.

5. MAdental

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Then apply next year. Dont throw your money away.

6. Bis-GMA111

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    i think it could be doable if you sent your app in without your scores, like...today

because it takes them like 4 weeks to process everything, and if you take your DAT on aug 30th your app will prob be complete by the 2nd week of sept.

i'm not too far off, as i submitted my stuff last week and i'm waiting for my gpas to be calculated.

good luck

7. euphaire

euphaire Blank
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey, thanks, but I thought you can't submit your app without the GPA calculations? I'm waiting on that right now. The DAT is not a huge problem because the schools I called will take my unofficial scores if I emaill/fax it to them.

8. Bis-GMA111

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    you can submit your app but they won't mail it to schools. it takes around 4 weeks to process, so e-submit, send your transcripts and LORs in asap, and hopefully by the time you take your dat your gpa should be calculated. so after you take your DAT it'll take them like a week-week and a half for AADSAS to have your score

or if all the schools accept the unofficial copy, then you could save even more time theoretically

#7 Bis-GMA111, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  9. dantemac

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You're late in the game but you can still make this work. Don't throw away any hope; you're still applying in the summer. Most schools want AADSAS completed by September.

10. euphaire

euphaire Blank
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Sorry, are you saying that it takes around 4 weeks for ADEA to calculate your GPA (from time of receiving the transcript, to updating your GPA info on the app), AND another 4 weeks for ADEA to mail out the application to the schools? So 8 weeks in total from the time ADEA receives my transcript?
    I am very :(

11. euphaire

euphaire Blank
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I forgot to add on my previous post..........................by September 1st, or by September 30th?

Thanks everyone. It's my fault for not doing this earlier and I only have myself to blame to death. :mad:

12. fujindesu

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    friend of mine had all their stuff in by mid September last year, and received 10+ interview offers. he had average stat 3.4gpa 19dat.
    Overnight express mail all your stuff in right now, so that you can start calling AADSAS once you KNOW they signed your documents. processing time has slowed down during the month of August, so you'll be lucky if you can have all your stuff sent out by mid September. Did I mention if you call AADSAS alot they get your stuff done quicker?

13. Accent

Pre-Dental
    You have to e-submit your application before your GPA is calculated.

14. euphaire

euphaire Blank
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Okay, thank you.

Back to the original question, if anyone thinks it's too late to be considered by _____ private school, let me know and I'll probably not include that on my school designations.