Taking DAT toward the end of August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Msmouth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to take 3 summer courses. The first 2 are bio1 and physics 1 and the last one will be done August 2nd. The last course is an online humanities course, so it should be cake. I didn't want to take that last course but in order to graduate by next spring, I really should. Meantime I plan to study while taking the humanities course and I thought I should give myself an extra 2-3 weeks after it's over.

My application should be in by June...., I plan to have that part out of the way before physics.

Does this sound like a good plan? Some say August is too late while others say it's plenty early. I just want to do really well the first time and not have to retake.

Members don't see this ad.

So your going to try and start studying for the DAT before you have even taken bio 1? have you taken any chemistrys? Are you going to have all your pre-reqs finished before your planned graduation in spring?

I should have added, that I have all my prereqs nearly done...

I took Bio 2 last semester and finishing Orgo 2 this semester. My school allows you to take bio 1 after bio 2 (maybe a glitch in the system) I've taken some higher level bio as well.....so all that's left is bio 1 and physics 1 & 2

I'm also wondering about the timing of the DAT. I'm studying now. But I'm working a full time job so the studying has been going slower than it could otherwise. I want to take the DAT as early as I can, but I'm not taking it until I'm ready. If that happens to be in August (which I don't want it to be), am I at a significant disadvantage for the 2013 matriculation cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP, that sounds fine. I am also planning to take it in August, but mine is a retake from January. Also, like you said, some people say August is late, while others say it is just fine. I personally think it is fine, I know/have heard of people applying in October/November and still getting acceptances. Anyway, good luck to you and study hard!

To the OP, that sounds fine. I am also planning to take it in August, but mine is a retake from January. Also, like you said, some people say August is late, while others say it is just fine. I personally think it is fine, I know/have heard of people applying in October/November and still getting acceptances. Anyway, good luck to you and study hard!

Thanks for the advice. Good luck to you as well!

I should have added, that I have all my prereqs nearly done...

I took Bio 2 last semester and finishing Orgo 2 this semester. My school allows you to take bio 1 after bio 2 (maybe a glitch in the system) I've taken some higher level bio as well.....so all that's left is bio 1 and physics 1 & 2

I would delay graduation and take physics next academic year, and then take humanities and whatever else you can bump to make room for phys during summer 2013. In my school, you could petition to walk on graduation and just receive your degree after finishing whatever you needed (as long as it was under like 12 credits by next fall or something).

Studying for the DAT took me from may until july 28th. End of august i would not consider early, and i would rather waste my summer next year and utilize this summer to study for the DAT and submit my application as early as possible. IMO opinion July15th would be a big difference then a august 15th completion.

Also, in my school summer classes were very demanding, so not sure i would want to couple that DAt studying. Best of luck!

I'm also wondering about the timing of the DAT. I'm studying now. But I'm working a full time job so the studying has been going slower than it could otherwise. I want to take the DAT as early as I can, but I'm not taking it until I'm ready. If that happens to be in August (which I don't want it to be), am I at a significant disadvantage for the 2013 matriculation cycle?

You only want to take the exam once, and get it done. I would really buckle down and start studying weekends/ after work. I tried studying for it while working two full time jobs and found myself exhausted, so if you have to cutting hours MIGHT be a good idea. I would definitely suggest trying to complete the exam by july assuming your stats are competitive.

I would delay graduation and take physics next academic year, and then take humanities and whatever else you can bump to make room for phys during summer 2013. In my school, you could petition to walk on graduation and just receive your degree after finishing whatever you needed (as long as it was under like 12 credits by next fall or something).

Studying for the DAT took me from may until july 28th. End of august i would not consider early, and i would rather waste my summer next year and utilize this summer to study for the DAT and submit my application as early as possible. IMO opinion July15th would be a big difference then a august 15th completion.

Also, in my school summer classes were very demanding, so not sure i would want to couple that DAt studying. Best of luck!

Trust me, I was bummed when I realized I would have to take 2 summer courses and study for the DAT. I took Chem 2 last summer and that was 4 weeks of pure hell.
I can't take physics next year....the school I want to get into will not grant interviews unless physics 1 is done.....I am delaying physics 2 until spring 2013. I know I've heard physics can be done before matriculation into dental but my particular school, that is not the case.

Also I'm hoping that taking the DAT in August will give me my best chance of doing well. I have good stats, non-traditional, and a dental hygienist. I'm hoping that I stand out in the crowd ( :

Last edited:
Ah okay, might still want to bump the humanities if you have the option of taking 20 creds or somehting spring semester, i would just try to get as much time as i can for studying, and eat and breathe the DAT. like mentioned above, you should do some light studying of qr, rc, and pat so that way come summer these sections wont be something you have to "learn", rather just practice. If youre interested i could tell you where to find some sources for it. so youre summer term1 ends around july 1st? if you dedicate yourself 6 weeks sounds doable. goooood luck :D

Thanks a ton! I am seriously contemplating dropping the humanities course, it runs into my study time....I just figured it would be a cake course, although you never no...

So far I have Crack Royal Flush, including PAT, Destroyer Math, Cliffs, Barrons Bio and Flash cards, I have PAT app on my IPOD, Chad's Videos, and I just bid on DAT Destroyer on ebay....

Do you suggest anything else?

Thanks again!