Taking easy scinece classes to raise science gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forkit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Will taking easy science classes in an attempt to raise my science gpa show a red flag to the admission commitee? My gpa is rather low and I need to raise it. Does GPA matter more than the level of difficulty of my classes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Will taking easy science classes in an attempt to raise my science gpa show a red flag to the admission commitee? My gpa is rather low and I need to raise it. Does GPA matter more than the level of difficulty of my classes?

Thanks!

They have already seen every trick in the book. This one's pretty common. Why not challenge yourself and do well?

What sort of science classes are you thinking to take?

I don't think adcoms can recognize the difference between a "hard" science class and an "easy" science class simply by the name and course number. But I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
It also depends on the school. Pre-med physics can be easy or hard depending upon many factors. I would say "just work hard and you'll do fine", but we all know the majority of kids prefer the easy curve, no HW, extra credit professors that are out there and avoided me during UG:smuggrin:

What sort of science classes are you thinking to take?

I don't think adcoms can recognize the difference between a "hard" science class and an "easy" science class simply by the name and course number. But I could be wrong.

I was thinking of taking a bunch of science electives.

*Jealous*

That sounds even cooler than my Vikings class.

Your school had a Vikings class? I am so jealous!:eek::laugh:

OP: As long as you're not taking something like "The Science Behind Underwater Basket Weaving and Other Craftily Constructed Carriers," you should probably be fine with the classes you mentioned.

Those are most likely just anthropology classes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but anthropology classes do not factor into your science gpa.

I'd be surprised if the pirate anthro one is actually a science class, but I'm all for the easy class starategy. Obviously the ideal situation is to have a 4.0 in your triple engineering majors at MIT, but if you have to choose between doing mediocre/okay in a tough class or well in a gimme class, choose doing well. Take it from someone who opted for the former.

Your school had a Vikings class? I am so jealous!:eek::laugh:

Yeah, I think the coolest thing I remember is a passage where a viking jumped on an ice sheet and chopped off someone's head while sliding across the ice sheet.

Not bad for my history req.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I think the coolest thing I remember is a passage where a viking jumped on an ice sheet and chopped off someone's head while sliding across the ice sheet.

Not bad for my history req.

Feel free to share, if it's legal to do so. :O

Feel free to share, if it's legal to do so. :O

Unfortunately, I can't recall which chapter of which saga that was from...

Lots of the stories were about person #1 killing person #2, person #2's relatives killing person #1, person #1's relatives killing person #2's relatives, you get the picture... quite violent and revenge-oriented heh.

Unfortunately, I can't recall which chapter of which saga that was from...

Lots of the stories were about person #1 killing person #2, person #2's relatives killing person #1, person #1's relatives killing person #2's relatives, you get the picture... quite violent and revenge-oriented heh.

Viking's gotta do what a Viking's gotta do, I guess. :cool::laugh:

Im getting a math minor. All the math classes have helped me boost my gpa, and I enjoy math. So whatever works.

Im getting a math minor. All the math classes have helped me boost my gpa, and I enjoy math. So whatever works.

Haha..how far along are you?

I did this too, thought it was a great idea but it sort of backfired in the end...doing well in real analysis is way different than acing calc.

look OP, this is wut u have to do, go to a senior or any other upper class men and ask them which are the easy upper division science class that u can take, make sure u ask the slacker ones not the nerds that will tell u that everything was easy. This will not only boost ur GPA, it will make u look better.

Holy hell, pirate anthro? I wish I went to your school.

yo homies... where do we find out what classes are considered science? does it say somewhere on the AMCAS?

ninja anthro > pirate anthro

yo homies... where do we find out what classes are considered science? does it say somewhere on the AMCAS?

ninja anthro > pirate anthro

Not enough concrete data for ninja anthro. Toooo sneaky!

global warming -> less whale meat in Japan -> less ninjas

get wid it.

A decrease in the pirate economy should lead to an increase in ninja influence...

(So the remaining pirate/ninja fence-sitters would be forced to align with ninja factions)

I need to take Calc 3, stats, and another class...not too far

What happened to you?