Quantcast

Taking English 1 and 2 online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hiyalol

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
How do medical schools look at this? I took these two courses in high school and mades C on them so I'm re-taking them for MD and DO. Since they are pre-reqs but not a science how do schools look at this? Should I instead just go to lecture for 1 and 2 during the summer?

Skydive Fox

Head Pilot, Star Fox Command
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You mean like basic introductory English 101/102? I'd reckon they don't give a hoot as long as you have them on your transcript. The only way I could imagine intro English raising any eyebrows is if you failed them, which would be an immediate red flag of your literacy skills.

DrFizition

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming these high school courses were either AP or some early college classes that eventually show up in your college transcript. If it doesn't show up in your transcript, med schools can't see them.

If it does end up in your transcript, retake them in college, and maybe even take upper level English's to justify that you have improved. Med schools will understand that you grew as a person and as a student since high school. The Cs won't look great, but it won't completely throw your application out of the window.

Also, depending on the college you are attending, AP courses that you didn't pass (got 1,2 or 3 on them) may not show up on the transcript anyway. This was the case with my two AP englishes, both of which I got 2s on.

The Knife & Gun Club

EM PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many med schools will not accept online classes for pre-reqs. I recently had to deal with this, when one of my accepting schools told me a "hybrid" english class that had both an in class and online component would not satisfy their english requirement.

They said I'd have to take english over the summer again before matriculating.

giphy.gif

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-13_15-56-29.png
    upload_2016-4-13_15-56-29.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 12

Hiyalol

Reaction score
You mean like basic introductory English 101/102? I'd reckon they don't give a hoot as long as you have them on your transcript. The only way I could imagine intro English raising any eyebrows is if you failed them, which would be an immediate red flag of your literacy skills.
I went to my CC during High School during the school year and summer. Summer is approaching now and wondering if it's fine I take English 1 - Summer 1 online and English 2 - Summer 2 online as well?

Hiyalol

Reaction score
Many med schools will not accept online classes for pre-reqs. I recently had to deal with this, when one of my accepting schools told me a "hybrid" english class that had both an in class and online component would not satisfy their english requirement.

View attachment 202394
Oh ok thanks, I'll just have to take it going to school then!

Reactions: 1 user

Skydive Fox

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
"The Knife & Gun Club, post: 17635527, member: 728152"]Many med schools will not accept online classes for pre-reqs. I recently had to deal with this, when one of my accepting schools told me a "hybrid" english class that had both an in class and online component would not satisfy their english requirement.

Really? Was the problem with the course being online, or the online course not being properly accredited? I've heard of people getting in pickles for taking online pre-reqs through shady online uni's, but not if it's through their own undergrad university. My school's prehealth adviser tells us that it doesn't matter if non-science prereq courses are online as long as those courses are accredited.

Edit: I'm a noob here and can't figure out the quote function

The Knife & Gun Club

EM PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
"The Knife & Gun Club, post: 17635527, member: 728152"]Many med schools will not accept online classes for pre-reqs. I recently had to deal with this, when one of my accepting schools told me a "hybrid" english class that had both an in class and online component would not satisfy their english requirement.

Really? Was the problem with the course being online, or the online course not being properly accredited? I've heard of people getting in pickles for taking online pre-reqs through shady online uni's, but not if it's through their own undergrad university. My school's prehealth adviser tells us that it doesn't matter if non-science prereq courses are online as long as those courses are accredited.

Edit: I'm a noob here and can't figure out the quote function

It was at an accredited 4 year school (FIU) but it was a summer class and not at my home institution. Every med school seems to have different rules about online classes and what constitutes an online class. I'd seer clear from them all together. That said this was only 1 school, the rest didn't care.

Skydive Fox

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was at an accredited 4 year school (FIU) but it was a summer class and not at my home institution. Every med school seems to have different rules about online classes and what constitutes an online class. I'd seer clear from them all together. That said this was only 1 school, the rest didn't care.
Gotcha, gotcha. I've done a couple online classes (none prereqs, I think). Thanks for the heads up- I'll double check my potential schools to make sure none of my courses will get flagged for being taken online.

apasric4

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

giphy.gif
Hi was it listed as a hybrid on your transcript? How was the course listed on your transcript? How did they find out?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since some medical schools will not take online classes for prereqs, applicants need to be best positioned for all(most) medical schools and therefore should avoid online courses

Reactions: 1 users