Taking English at Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUmiken12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I tested out of the first college english course, and I had planned to take the remainder of my english courses (Research, American Lit, British Lit) at community colleges. Does this look bad for med schools or is this ok? Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

It probably looks worse to take science classes at a community college, not sure about the English. However I think it's probably best to complete your requirements at the school you attend if you can. Courses taken at community colleges may be regarded as "less challenging" by medical schols.

I'm a JC transfer student, and I took all but one of my english classes in the JC and I haven't heard anything negative at any of my interviews, and I don't think it's hurt me one bit. I also think that the teachers at the JC were better than at my UC.

Good luck,

Adam

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's a bad idea. I went to summer school as a transient student to a community college last summer and re-took a chemistry course. I did better than I did at my home school, mainly because the classes were smaller and more interactions with the teacher.

I didn't take my English at a JC, but I did take it in high school at a local university and it does not seem to matter at all. Actually, it has been a great advantage for since it allowed me to pursue my minor in Spanish.