Taking extra science courses to boost my science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

Julie Son

Hello!

I have already graduated and I am planning on taking science courses at easier colleges during my gap year, so my questions are...
1. Can I just take 1-2 classes per semester and enrolled as a part-time student?
2. Can I re-take same courses to get a better grade?
3. Which classes are recommended to boost my science GPA?

I would appreciate your time and concern if you are answering my questions!
Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes, but what are you planning to do in addition to those 2 classes? Dental schools want to see that you are productive. Anyone can only take 2 classes and do well.

2. Yes, you should reach out to someone in that college. Some colleges only offer re-takes if you had a D or F. You also have to do your research; I'm not even sure anymore but I think it's the average of the two grades.

3. You should take easy science courses to boost your gpa. Some examples are research classes, introduction to blah blah blah, However, keep in mind that Dental schools highly recommend higher level science courses like anatomy, microbiology, histology, biophysical, and etc.

I attached a file of science, other science and non-science classes.

Attachments

• ADEA-AADSAS-Course-Subjects.pdf
    285.4 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: 1 user
You would be better off taking new classes than retaking thats just statistics, aadsas averages retakes so taking new classes would = more bang for you buck. Look in your course catalog and ratemyprofessor see if you can find some easier level upper science courses or ones that you believe would help you be more successful in dental school. P.S. depending on the school summer courses are much easier... wish I would of known this...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think OP should only re-take the pre-requisite classes below a B. We can spend hours arguing and calculating whether OP should re-take or take additional science classes. Ultimately, there won't be a drastic improvement in gpa either way.

Depending on OP's sgpa, the best option could be pursuing a masters.

I think taking courses is a great idea. However it won't improve your overall GPA too drastically. Its more of a way to better prepare for your first year. I have been taking some science classes at my community college on my gap year. I was told by schools they like to see that you're staying academically active in addition to continuing to shadow and volunteer. Micro anatomy biochemistry are all good ideas!

I think taking courses is a great idea. However it won't improve your overall GPA too drastically. Its more of a way to better prepare for your first year. I have been taking some science classes at my community college on my gap year. I was told by schools they like to see that you're staying academically active in addition to continuing to shadow and volunteer. Micro anatomy biochemistry are all good ideas!

Dental schools don't mind taking courses at a community college?? at all!??

Dental schools don't mind taking courses at a community college?? at all!??
Most schools have on their websites how many credits they will accept from a community college. Best to call and ask the specific schools just to make sure!