Taking extra year, can't decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've already started getting my letters and personal statement together. I feel like I have a solid of ECs and my professors think I've got a fair shot at getting into at least one program if I apply broadly. (feel free to see my MDapps if you'd like)

Advantages: I just got accepted into a summer REU, and will be picking up a second research project during my senior year. All the while continuing my current research and other ECs. All of which I could add to my application if I apply a year later. I also lack heavy volunteering hours (~100), so an extra year would probably allow me to bring that up as well.

Disadvantages:
I have a momentum going and am afraid of doing a gap year before jumping back into school. Also, with each year getting more competitive, I don't know if my MCAT (13,8,13) will be competitive a year or two from now. Actually it'll expire a year after I graduate, so if I take a year off I would absolutely need to get accepted that round. I really don't want to retake this exam...

So, now I'm unsure if I should take an extra year off or not, and if the benefits of adding my senior research, summer REU, and volunteering would be worth it.

Is there any way that I can list these future experiences on my application now? Or let medical schools know that I am doing them next year?

I was thinking of submitting a little late around middle or end of June, that way I could probably add the summer REU.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a 3.8/34 and decent EC's. I'd apply this coming year if I were in your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thanks guys! I would have preferred taking the opportunity to apply now. I'll likely go for it then.

Best wishes.:)

Apply and if you don't get in, then you'll be forced to take a "gap year" anyways.

I would say you're good to go.

Thanks for the support guys, I feel a lot better going for it.:) The other experiences might be good for letters of intent and interviews...

Now I just need to figure out how to get this summer REU into my app. I got an email about my mentor, and what I might be working on and it looks amazing. I really hope I can let med schools know about it. :xf:

Is submitting mid to late June, instead of June 5th on the first day alright? My adviser said that anytime in June should not put me at a disadvantage. But I know that it makes a big difference after a certain point in the summer.

I hope to talk about the REU in the meaningful experiences section, and submitting with a week or two of the program under my belt might be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support guys, I feel a lot better going for it.:) The other experiences might be good for letters of intent and interviews...

Now I just need to figure out how to get this summer REU into my app. I got an email about my mentor, and what I might be working on and it looks amazing. I really hope I can let med schools know about it. :xf:

Is submitting mid to late June, instead of June 5th on the first day alright? My adviser said that anytime in June should not put me at a disadvantage. But I know that it makes a big difference after a certain point in the summer.

I hope to talk about the REU in the meaningful experiences section, and submitting with a week or two of the program under my belt might be worthwhile.
I wouldn't delay submission to put it on your app myself. First, it could look suspicious marking something you have been doing for 2 weeks as "most meaningful." Second, you are in good position already to apply, so a 2-week experience won't add anything significant to your application. Third, by the time you have meaningful experience at the REU, you will be able to talk about it in interviews and send the info in update letters, which could make a difference.

I wouldn't delay submission to put it on your app myself. First, it could look suspicious marking something you have been doing for 2 weeks as "most meaningful." Second, you are in good position already to apply, so a 2-week experience won't add anything significant to your application. Third, by the time you have meaningful experience at the REU, you will be able to talk about it in interviews and send the info in update letters, which could make a difference.

I definitely agree with this. What you will be missing won't really make a huge difference. Updates are just as good and show that you are continuing all this, even after you've turned in your apps. Sometimes, talking about something that you are presently doing not indicated on your apps could be a plus at an interview!

Applications don't get looked at until August. The earliest someone will look at an app is July. Anytime in June is perfectly fine. They don't really read the applications strictly chronologically. Stronger applications seem to make their way to the front.