Taking Extra Yr/Unoff. Post-bacc = Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgatt3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If i have a slightly below avg gpa 3.4, and decide to take an extra 5th yr of sci classes, to bump up my GPA, is this called 'grade padding'? (I'm not doing offic. post bacc bc I don't have the $$)

How is this 5th yr viewed by the adcoms, assuming I get almost A's in sciences? Will this upward trend make up for a lower cGPA?
(Assume MCAT ~32)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If i have a slightly below avg gpa 3.4, and decide to take an extra 5th yr of sci classes, to bump up my GPA, is this called 'grade padding'? (I'm not doing offic. post bacc bc I don't have the $$)

How is this 5th yr viewed by the adcoms, assuming I get almost A's in sciences? Will this upward trend make up for a lower cGPA?
(Assume MCAT ~32)

Thanks!

Adcoms will not care, doing a 5th year isn't really that bad. It occurs often enough.

Upward trend helps but does not replace a low GPA.

Grade padding is when you take "basket weaving" and "underwater dance" classes. Taking more science classes will only be viewed positively, especially if it raises your GPA and BCPM GPA. If you haven't graduated, it would not be considered "post-bac" but it will effect your GPA in exactly the same way.