Oct 8, 2019
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm really struggling in General Chemistry. It's really frustrating for me because I know that I can do well in the class. Covid and having to stay home constantly with my family has left me feeling depressed. I am going to talk to an advisor to see if I can drop the course and switch to another one. I fear if I continue in Gen Chem this quarter, the best I'll get is a C. I have a 4.0 GPA, and a C will drop my GPA quite a bit. Does it matter to medical schools if I take one pre-requisite P/NP? I'm annoyed because I realize now that the class isn't that hard to study for, I just let everything that is going on get to me.

Reactions: 1 user

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
on the wall
I'm really struggling in General Chemistry. It's really frustrating for me because I know that I can do well in the class. Covid and having to stay home constantly with my family has left me feeling depressed. I am going to talk to an advisor to see if I can drop the course and switch to another one. I fear if I continue in Gen Chem this quarter, the best I'll get is a C. I have a 4.0 GPA, and a C will drop my GPA quite a bit. Does it matter to medical schools if I take one pre-requisite P/NP? I'm annoyed because I realize now that the class isn't that hard to study for, I just let everything that is going on get to me.
Hey, you're not alone. Gen chem involves quite a bit of math, so you might want to check out your school's adivsing center for free tutoring services, or go to office hours/talk with your TA.

There is a lot of gen chem on the MCAT. Don't overlook it.
Don't blame yourself for becoming depressed; it's a mild illness that is easily treated, and a lot of people are in the same boat right now w/the COVID crap. Try to utilize apps/websites like Whatsapp/Google Hangouts/Skype/Marco Polo so that you can interact with people more face to face. I found that this really helped me. Take some time to do good things for yourself to de-stress, like journal and exercise, even if it's only for a little bit.

It's frustrating when you know that you have the potential to ace something and negative shiz gets in the way. Believe in yourself. You can do this! :)

Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You'll need to check with individual schools, but, in general, yes, prereqs are prereqs for a reason, and schools want to see the grades because grades are important to them. The C won't drop your GPA by "quite a bit" by the time you get your degree, if it's your only one. If you have more than one, then you have other issues that taking one class P/F is not going to solve. Schools were forced to make an accommodation last spring when so many UGs suddenly changed all grading to P/F, but most schools will not be okay with you electing to take a prereq P/F.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
Mar 25, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Honestly dropping and just taking it again might be a good idea, especially since you are confident that you don't have many problems with the content itself. Also keep your head up king/queen we're all in this together :)

Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
have any schools actually said this (for either the spring or fall 2020 semesters)?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads