Taking Grad school opportunities while waitlisted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dallen934

Reaction score
I'm reapplying for medical school this cycle and have currently been waitlisted at three schools with one more interview in tow. I also applied to a few grad school programs in my research field as a backup of sorts. I feel that due to personal constraints I will not be able to improve my app (low hospital volunteer hours) in the coming year, so trying to apply to medical school a third time will probably not be fruitful. The deadline for grad school decisions is April 15th.

Is it ethical/possible to enroll in a graduate school and then back out later in the event that I get off the waitlist at a medical school? I intend on asking the admissions committee/program directors later about this, but I'd love to hear your thoughts in case others are facing a similar problem.

I can also share any material on my schools or personal info if it might help shed some light on this matter.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no experience with this, so this is purely my speculation. Do reach out to the admissions committee and follow their protocol.

When do your grad programs officially start? Do they start before or after med school (July/August)? I think it is one thing to say yes to a grad school by April 15th and end up changing your plan soon after, and a totally different issue if you fully enroll at the grad program and decide to drop out after you are expected to commit to the curriculum.