Taking labs separate from lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I had a question for one of my cousins who's attending school as a pre-med.

Basically, the lecture is open for General Chemistry but the labs are all full, and he's wondering whether or not its fine to take the lecture in the fall and the lab later. At his school, they're completely separate courses and are not required to be taken together or anything like that. One is a two credit lab course and the other is three credits of lecture.

He also says that most labs are offered at times of his classes (mornings and late afternoons), and they're classes required for his non-science major, which is why he doesn't think he should give up one of them to take Chemistry lab should one open up.

What do you all think? I was thinking the same thing about Organic lecture and lab (not sure if I'll do it myself, but I was just curious).

Do medical schools notice these kinds of things and actually care about it? He's a pretty smart kid, and I'm sure he'll do well in both whenever he takes them.

And I'm sure others have faced a similar dilemma, but I can't seem to find a good forum. If someone could redirect me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From reading SDN, and there's actually a pre-med in my current Chem II class who is taking the class without the lecture, taking the lab and lecture separately is fine.

It's completely fine. Just remember that if you try to go to another school, they might only have the combo option, but other than that, no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, thanks! I feel like I've heard mixed things about this, but yeah, the overall consensus seems to be that its just a checkmark prerequisite and that is doesn't matter at all when its taken. He's already taken Gen Chem I and its lab component together, so he'll just have Chem II's lab to do in a different semester and maybe Organic if he decides to do that too.

Again, thanks for the input

Actually sorry one more question...what about taking them at different schools? I'm asking for myself this time. But like, say I take Chemistry lecture or something at my home university and then I decide that I want to stay nearer to home in the summer and take the lab component at a different but equally large four-year university. Do you think thats fine too?

Actually sorry one more question...what about taking them at different schools? I'm asking for myself this time. But like, say I take Chemistry lecture or something at my home university and then I decide that I want to stay nearer to home in the summer and take the lab component at a different but equally large four-year university. Do you think thats fine too?

It don't matter, cowboy.